Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A share for those who aren't following the BJCP forum  (Read 3233 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: A share for those who aren't following the BJCP forum
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:17 am »
There are definitely people who really enjoy that kind of smoke/medicinal/mineral flavor. I don't particularly care for it. Even in scotch.

I suspect much of the peat smoke in Scottish beer theory came from something somebody read one time in something about the historical production of those beers in which brewers were using malt from a distillery that used peat malt because it was all that was available. Not really a good source for modern renditions of the styles.

I've also heard people say that the alleged smoke flavor is a product of the water, which I suppose might be true in certain parts of Scotland but not true of all Scottish brewing regions. I'd like to know which particular beers or regions are identified as containing that character.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 08:57:31 am »
All these people slamming the use of peat-smoked malt in brewing beer.....yet there are endless threads about using cucumbers, yadayada..... :o 

Try throwing in 3 ounces in the mash of your next 5 gallons of porter sometime.

You expect us to trust advice from someone who thinks PBR is the pinnacle of beer?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 09:08:51 am »
There are definitely people who really enjoy that kind of smoke/medicinal/mineral flavor. I don't particularly care for it. Even in scotch.

I suspect much of the peat smoke in Scottish beer theory came from something somebody read one time in something about the historical production of those beers in which brewers were using malt from a distillery that used peat malt because it was all that was available. Not really a good source for modern renditions of the styles.

I've also heard people say that the alleged smoke flavor is a product of the water, which I suppose might be true in certain parts of Scotland but not true of all Scottish brewing regions. I'd like to know which particular beers or regions are identified as containing that character.

It's funny because I love good Scotch, even the smokey ones, but the peated malt in a Scottish ale comes across as a fake or cheap Scotch flavor to me. Don't care for it.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »

It's funny because I love good Scotch, even the smokey ones, but the peated malt in a Scottish ale comes across as a fake or cheap Scotch flavor to me. Don't care for it.
I think that's likely because the peat in a scotch has been tempered through the distillation process and further tempered via aging in barrels.... It's certainly gross in a beer though ;-)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »

I think that's likely because the peat in a scotch has been tempered through the distillation process and further tempered via aging in barrels.... It's certainly gross in a beer though ;-)

Yep, I'm sure that's the case.  Hell of a transformation into good Scotch !
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 02:39:02 pm »
I kind of like the stuff in small doses.

I tried it once, and I liked it as well.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC