Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noodles & Pasta  (Read 24016 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Noodles & Pasta
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:14:06 pm »
I'm a noodle freak. Pasta too. This is a common & quick dish around the euge household.

Some frozen shrimp and a BBQ chicken wing to round out the meal. Goes great with a lager like Czechvar.

MMMMM Spicy! And hearty!

The Nong Shim "udon-type" features thicker noodles than the regular ramen. Doesn't get as soggy either. I used to only find this type of brand at the Asian market but now they are everywhere.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Noodles & Pasta
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:05:53 pm »
I love noodles as well...rice sticks are a particularly favorite.  That's a clever usage of semi "instant" noodles (albeit not ramen) with leftover BBQ chicken!  How did you make the broth?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:51:32 pm »
The included seasonings are premium quality. Usually add just a few drops of sesame oil or fish sauce. They really don't need much doctoring up except for veg or meat sometimes. Frozen snowpeas...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs5HQqElIx4

LMAO

I'm a noodler too!

There's a Vietnamese dish Capp introduced me to called Pho...wow that is the noodle of all noodle dishes.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:10:16 am »
A Noodler! :D the Pho pics made me drool. I'll have to go for some of my favorite soon!

Cap that guy really loves his noodles- I'm just a freak for them... ;)

Oh what to do with this Peking Duck?

So it got used in my lunch. Only took a few minutes.

Ingredients:
1 pkg Sapporo Ichiban Chowmein
Slice off onion quartered
1 baby Bokchoy chopped
A few slices of leftover Peking Duck
Chives

Oil up pan with sesame oil and heat it up real good- toss in the veg and put some marks on them, hot but still crunchy. Slide veg off onto plate and then toss in Duck and sizzle for a few minutes. Remove duck and add 1 cup hot water and the noodles. Soften some while covered then add seasoning and incorporate. When the noodles have absorbed the majority of the liquid add the veg and meat. Toss to mix and plate.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:30:35 am »
Just got a new Marcato pasta machine. Havent had one in years.

Im doing some practice runs with dough now. You have to roll a few batches of dough through the rollers untill they are clean. The first run of dough I just did came out gray. :o

Might get as far as lasagna tonight. Ill post some pics of the dough action later.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:38:42 am »
I got an Imperia pasta machine a few months ago.  I don't like to use the attachments; I prefer to just hand cut the pasta.  It works great and doesn't take much time at all once you get then hang of making the dough.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:45:06 am »
Havent tried the attachments yet. Well just cleaning the rollers anyways. Seems to work OK though. I have the ftetuchini and linguine one. It sticks together a little but I think I just need to flour it more.

Im gonna try to get some nice thin perogie dough through here.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:11:58 am »
I've got one permanently affixed to my counter. Runs out some nice sheets. Noodle on!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »
Just got a new Marcato pasta machine. Havent had one in years.

Im doing some practice runs with dough now. You have to roll a few batches of dough through the rollers untill they are clean. The first run of dough I just did came out gray. :o

Might get as far as lasagna tonight. Ill post some pics of the dough action later.

I have one just like this. Care to share some dough recipes?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:18 pm »
Well this is what I made for lunch yesterday: Hot Italian sausage with Vodka sauce. A simple quick dish. Serves four.

Was looking through my pantry and found this pouch of Bertolli Vodka Rustica sauce. Hmm been sitting there a while... Back says: Best by Oct 09! >:( Oh well.

Then I realized the sausage had made it's way into the smoker over the weekend with the Polish and Brats. Another oh well...

8 oz dried Rigatoni
1 medium onion halved & sliced (I like white)
1 Tbs of minced garlic
1 lb cooked Italian sausage roughly chopped
1 pouch expired Vodka sauce
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper per preference
Parmesan (grated)

Bring salted water to a boil and add rigatoni. Meanwhile:

Saute onion in oil until slightly translucent add garlic then remove to a plate. Sizzle the sausage and add the onions. Once incorporated remove to plate again. Heat up sauce in pan and reduce slightly. Add sausage and onion. Much of the grease remains on the plate. :) Salt and Pepper to taste.

Simmer sauce until pasta is aldente. Drain pasta and place on serving dish or platter. Top with the sauce and cheese. Serve!

Usually I'll skin the raw sausage and roughly chop it up. The smoked sausage brings a little something different. The casing gives a nice crunch but it isn't my preference. Not bad though. The addition of bell pepper to this dish would really improve it. Overall very tasty and filling.

Normally I'll make my own tomato sauce but the stragglers in the pantry need culling.  ;)

Cap I'll try to do a fresh pasta this weekend. A rustic wide-cut noodle with Bolognese sauce sound nice?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:38 pm »
Looks delicioso.

I used to make the dough with semolina or duram flour. Thats what I use to make those manicotti crepes.

Didnt have any on hand but I made lasagna the other night ueing just plain old unbleached flour and it worked great.

You can knead it by hand but I added about 3-4 cups of flour to the kitchen aid and made an indentation in the flour. Then addded 6 lightly beaten eggs. Then tilted the mixer and blade into the eggs and set the mixer on low. if it is to wet add some more flour gradually. If it is to dry add a little water gradually. It should never stick to your fingers. When done remove and knead on a board or something a few times.

This will make enough dough sheet for lasagna to serve 6 or 8 people easily.

Then roll it through the regular rollers a few times each setting gradually making it thinner. Lice it as needed to fit the lasagna pan.

Do you want my lasagna and tomato gravy recipe?

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:35:27 pm »

Do you want my lasagna and tomato gravy recipe?

Really wanted to quote back to your inlaws and ketchup. Couldn't find it though.
You know I really wouldn't mind seeing the recipe - just want to compare to what we do.
Fresh noodles are not par for the course here unfortunately. And when it's made, one or two go into the freezer for future use.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 06:43:28 pm »
It's a weird mindset thing but I can't get over calling it tomato "gravy".  I am picturing Thanksgiving turkey gravy spiked with tomato paste.  Ah well, we all have our crosses to bear.

Sort of pasta/dough related, but does anyone have a good recipe for dough that gives a good deep fry result?  We did samosas but the shortening/flour dough basically tasted like fried pie crust...good in its way, but the wife was hoping for something more like what they make crab rangoon with...wonton dough, is it?  Samosas are a bit like deep fried ravioli or pierogi.