Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noodles & Pasta  (Read 24022 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Noodles & Pasta
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 10:25:52 am »
Making the dough was a cinch, I used Denny's 50/50 - 100 grams and 1 egg per person methodology.
I'm having trouble parsing this.  You used yeast in your pasta?  50-100 grams of what?

I believe it's 50% semolina 50% regular flour with 100grams and 1 egg per person.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:38 am »
I can't see how the KA could extrude pasta properly. You need high pressure/force and a really stiff dough based on what I've seen.

If you let semolina dough rest for a couple hours or overnight the grittiness smooths away and it really turns out well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 10:30:50 am »
Making the dough was a cinch, I used Denny's 50/50 - 100 grams and 1 egg per person methodology.
I'm having trouble parsing this.  You used yeast in your pasta?  50-100 grams of what?

I believe it's 50% semolina 50% regular flour with 100grams and 1 egg per person.
;D  That makes a lot more sense.  I've never made pasta, is it obvious?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2011, 11:43:16 am »
I can't see how the KA could extrude pasta properly. You need high pressure/force and a really stiff dough based on what I've seen.

If you let semolina dough rest for a couple hours or overnight the grittiness smooths away and it really turns out well.

it extrudes okay but the KA does work at it. it uses a screw feeder. I suspect the problem I ran into was that the dough was not stiff enough. I used an egg based recipe and I think you really need to use a water only recipe for the extruder to work well. This will make for a very stiff dough indeed.

I'm having trouble parsing this.  You used yeast in your pasta?  50-100 grams of what?

;D  That makes a lot more sense.  I've never made pasta, is it obvious?

What better time than now?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »
I'm having trouble parsing this.  You used yeast in your pasta?  50-100 grams of what?

100 gr. of flour and one egg per person, split 50/50 between AP and semolina flour.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 07:06:27 am »
I rested the dough for about 20 min, next time I may do the day before dough and place in the fridge.

The KA instructions are to turn it up to 10 (the highest setting) and to put in walnut sized pieces and push if it is required. It WAS required, perhaps a function of the semolina. It took some force and quite a bit of time to get it to flow the way I think it should and I really needed another pair of hands at times. Next time I extrude I will probably be ready with a drying rack and let my wife separate strands as needed.

And yes, it is 100 grams of flour mixture to 1 egg in a 50 / 50 mix of semolina and white flour. Dunno how 100 grams corresponds in volumetric measure, but it worked out so well I probably will never find out ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 07:19:21 am »
I rested the dough for about 20 min, next time I may do the day before dough and place in the fridge.

The KA instructions are to turn it up to 10 (the highest setting) and to put in walnut sized pieces and push if it is required. It WAS required, perhaps a function of the semolina. It took some force and quite a bit of time to get it to flow the way I think it should and I really needed another pair of hands at times. Next time I extrude I will probably be ready with a drying rack and let my wife separate strands as needed.

And yes, it is 100 grams of flour mixture to 1 egg in a 50 / 50 mix of semolina and white flour. Dunno how 100 grams corresponds in volumetric measure, but it worked out so well I probably will never find out ;)

According to an online conversion calculator that would be ~1/2 cup All Purpose flour and ~1/3 cup Semolina.  I can't vouch for the results but that's what the interwebs says.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 09:13:30 am »

It's around a cup, but I stopped using volumetric measurements once I discovered that formula.  Courtesy of Jamie Oliver.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2012, 06:44:41 pm »
Well I'm up to my old tricks again.

This is what I had for breakfast today:

Nong Shim Shin Ramyun doctored up a little with some extra sesame oil and soy sauce. Garnished with baby zucchini, cilantro and sliced smoked chuck roast. Nom nom. What a great way to start the day.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2012, 07:01:26 pm »

Nong Shim Shin Ramyun doctored up a little with some extra sesame oil and soy sauce. Garnished with baby zucchini, cilantro and sliced smoked chuck roast. Nom nom. What a great way to start the day.
That just looks awesome.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2012, 07:21:30 pm »

Simply impressive euge!  :)
Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2012, 09:27:17 am »

I'm really hungry now.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2012, 11:14:58 am »

I'm really hungry now.

Lookin' good Euge. 
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim