Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your favorite Hops that are rarely mentioned...  (Read 7435 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Your favorite Hops that are rarely mentioned...
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 01:13:38 pm »
I forgot to mention Sorachi Ace. It's a little resiny, with a very lemony flavor and aroma. It really emphasizes the tart aspects of a saison - works really well.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 01:38:54 pm »
Some people say Sorachi Ace has some dill notes too.  I haven't tried it, but want to some day even if it has some dill.  Dill and lemon sound good in a saison.

Palisades - have only used it twice, but enjoyed the peach flavor and aroma.  Nobody mentions Palisades.  I think it's the only hop with peach notes.  Some people say it has a grassy aroma too.  That part of it smells more like fresh pellets to me.

Online chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 02:03:21 pm »
Cluster is also good in porters.  A combination of Cluster and Northern Brewer in  1.055ish porter is a killer combination.

I agree with Denny on Horizon. I made a fantastic American brown with Horizon, using this recipe (replace the Fuggles and EKGs with Horizon):

Dirty Nortchez House Special Brown
(All Grain) 10 gal.

This Homebrew Recipe was added by
Norty on June 26, 2002 at 14:17:08:
(Please contact them if you have questions about the Recipe)
Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Yeast Starter: 1 pt
Batch Size: 10 gal.
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: ???
Alcohol Content: ??? %
Total Grains: 17.5 lbs
Color: 24
Extract Efficiency: 75 %
Hop IBU's: 30
Boiling Time: 60 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7-12 days
Secondary Fermentation: 7-12 days
Additional Fermentation: None

Grain Bill:

11 lbs 2-row
4 lbs Crystal 90L
1/2 lbs Chocolate Malt
2 lbs Brown Sugar

Hop Bill:

2 oz Fuggle 5.7% for 40 minutes
2 oz E.K. Goldings 6.6% for 15 minutes
2 tsp Irish Moss at 15 minutes

Mash Schedule:

Single infusion at 155F for 60 minutes.
Mash out at 165F and sparge.
I used a ratio of 1.25 qts/pound of grain.

Brewers Notes:

2002 NHC Gold medal winner for Category 10, Brown Ale.
I got lucky!

Another hop I like is Glacier.  Makes a real nice flavor/aroma hop in APA.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 02:11:39 pm »
I did a single hop ESB last year with Pride of Ringwood that I enjoyed.  It had a fairly agressive bitterness, not unlike Chinook. 

I've been meaning to try some in an IPA. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 02:13:33 pm »

Another hop I like is Glacier.  Makes a real nice flavor/aroma hop in APA.

+1 I love Glacier! Works really well in an English IPA with EKG, or First Gold. Another two I don't see get mentioned are UK Sovereign and Bodaciea. They are showcased in Left Hand's 400 lb monkey.
Kyle M.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 01:59:24 pm »
I like northern brewer with cascade in american ales.  I don't now exactly why.  My house American brown has homegrown northern brewer as first wort and homegrown cascade as late additions.  Works out well.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 02:34:08 pm »
Palisades - have only used it twice, but enjoyed the peach flavor and aroma.  Nobody mentions Palisades.  I think it's the only hop with peach notes.  Some people say it has a grassy aroma too.  That part of it smells more like fresh pellets to me.

Meridian and Caliente both have distinct stone fruit as well. Meridian comes off as a bit sweeter, so I liken it more to apricot. Some people pick up the stone fruit as cherry out of Caliente, but I think it's more peach/nectarine/red plum.

I'll have to play with Palisade. I really like the peach/stone fruit thing in hops. It works well with the citrus of C-hops, and it also plays nice with English yeast ester profiles. It doesn't have that cloying, candy-like nature of some of the newest hops, but it still stands out from a lot of the old standby's.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 01:35:12 pm »
The two times I used Palisades, it was mixed with one citrus hop in a two hop 60-80ibu beer with a 20-30ibu bittering charge.  The peach was noticeable and it blended well with the citrus hops.  I used it to bitter both times and it was smooth. 

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2014, 12:39:55 am »
Once I made a gluten free beer in which I used Amarillo at FWH and 17 min, and then Citra and Rakau at 5 min and 2 min, and that was a very tasty beer.  Very mellow rich and pleasantly tropical, but not a "fruit bowl" flavor.  Characteristics I've read attributed to Rakau are passion fruit and mango - that approximates it.

Today I kegged and dry hopped a Galaxy Simcoe American Pale Ale, and it is a winner.  I also used Simcoe for the bittering addition.  Both hops are described as having passion fruit characteristics.   

That beer I hopped to about 38 IBUs and used a bit of a kitchen sink approach for the malt including just a little vienna, crystal 40, rye malt, carapils, wheat malt and flaked oats, but mostly premium 2-row for base malt.  It still tastes very true to style.

I've also recently used Lemon Experimental Hops from Yakima Hops for a flavor + dry hop (in one of the two kegs) addition in a Summit Amarillo Citra IPA and everyone loved that beer.

I guess I don't brew enough batches to discuss my "favorite" new hops, but I've been enjoying experimenting here and there.

I do need to change it up, and will based on all the great replies.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:00:44 am by brewsumore »

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 10:48:25 am »
HoosierBrew slipped in Ahtanum with the edit.  That's another I was going to mention.  Never used it alone, but every time I've used it, I said "whoa, that's a damn good beer".  I think it's bright orange with a bit of spice and floral?  The beer I'm brewing tomorrow is going to have Ahtanum and Galaxy.

That sounds good. Let us know how it comes out - never used Ahtanum with Galaxy. I agree with the orange/ floral thing, and sometimes it's a little orange/lemon to me along with the other attributes.

The Ahtanum Galaxy combo turned out well.  This combo produced more lemon than orange from Ahtanum plus the passionfruit and mild dankness from Galaxy.  No floral and a bit of spice this time.   

Previous batches with Ahtanum and other hops produced more orange than lemon.  I guess the result depends on what you use to complement Ahtanum.  Stone Pale ale uses all Ahtanum.  I can't recall what it tastes like, but it has won awards at GABF.     

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »
HoosierBrew slipped in Ahtanum with the edit.  That's another I was going to mention.  Never used it alone, but every time I've used it, I said "whoa, that's a damn good beer".  I think it's bright orange with a bit of spice and floral?  The beer I'm brewing tomorrow is going to have Ahtanum and Galaxy.

That sounds good. Let us know how it comes out - never used Ahtanum with Galaxy. I agree with the orange/ floral thing, and sometimes it's a little orange/lemon to me along with the other attributes.

The Ahtanum Galaxy combo turned out well.  This combo produced more lemon than orange from Ahtanum plus the passionfruit and mild dankness from Galaxy.  No floral and a bit of spice this time.   

Previous batches with Ahtanum and other hops produced more orange than lemon.  I guess the result depends on what you use to complement Ahtanum.  Stone Pale ale uses all Ahtanum.  I can't recall what it tastes like, but it has won awards at GABF.     

Sounds good. I may try that combo sometime. Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
  • So many craft beers to try, so little time
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2014, 06:49:49 am »
A month ago, we dry-hopped 5 gallons of APA for five days with 3 ounces of Mosaic. It's an amazing aroma hop, and I'm both sad and happy to say that, all 49 bottles are now gone.

We went to the AHA rally last night at Sam Adams, and did a flight testing on the Sam's "deconstructed" Latitude 48, where they give you single-hopped versions of the beer to compare. I know it's personal preference, but the version hopped with Mosaic stood out big-time.

It's definitely a "trendy" hop variety right now, but if you're into aroma hops,  I'd highly recommend Mosaic.
"You've never really had a beer until you've had your first homebrew."

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Your favorite Hops that are rarely mentioned...
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 01:44:03 pm »
For the Big Brew I did the Regal Pale Ale with Nelson Sauvin Amgen a cpl others. I got the  black pepper, mace, and allspice that was described. It was so good, I have the sequal in the fermenter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:14:56 pm by BrewBama »

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 01:47:09 pm »
UK Phoenix

I have a hard time finding this hop when I want to use it from suppliers I normally buy from. It seems that when I do find it, the supplier won't have the other ingredients I need, so I skip buying and find alternatives.

It's been a long time since I've used it, but I've found it works extremely well to add in combination with Chinook. I like a combo of them together for bittering and then just Phoenix at the end of the boil for a hint of aroma. It makes an old ale quite drinkable without waiting for the "old" part. It seems to balance the Chinook dank flavor.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!