Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop steeping process  (Read 2803 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Hop steeping process
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:50:12 pm »
I want to nail down my hop steeping process.  I use this primarily for AIPA's and APA's.

What I currently do is this: At flameout, dump the hops in the wort and immediately begin cooling the wort to ~170* (in my case using a plate chiller which gets it there in very little time).  Then let it sit for 10 minutes and run the batch through the chiller to the fermentation vessel.

I am uncertain if this is normative or in the category of 'best practices.'  What do you do/recommend?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop steeping process
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:55:22 pm »
I cool to 170-175F first, then add the hops and steep. 20 -30 minutes for AIPA, 45-60 mins for AIPA. I do it this way because I want very little to no additional noticeable bitterness. But also, more of the volatile aroma compounds get driven off adding them at true flameout and I prefer to keep most of that stuff intact.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:18:00 pm »
Thanks for the input.  Yeah I just read yesterday that myrcene boils at 147*!  makes me wonder if 170* is too hot.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »
Yeah, I'm working my way slowly down the temp scale. Haven't got that far yet !  I'm sure there's a point where you get less hop character, just don't know where it is (yet).
Jon H.

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:31:17 am »
I have gotten a lot of flavor by waiting until 170-180F. The aroma isn't quite as strong as dry hopping, but still plenty for less-hoppy styles. For my last brew, I killed the heat and immediately started chilling. Once the beer hit 175F I added the hops and left them in for 30 minutes with the chiller running the whole time. The wort was ~120F when I pulled the hops out.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:42:53 am »
Very similar. I add the hops at flameout and try to get it down to 160-170 as quick as possible. Then I typically let the beer cool down to 130-140 on its own and then chill down to pitching temperatures. I dump the hops when I pour the wort into the fermentor by passing it through a strainer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:45:47 am »
I add the aroma steep hops at flameout and chill to 140-160 which takes about 5 minutes.  Stir a whirlpool for maybe a minute or not at all.  Put the lid on and let it steep for 45-60 minutes.

Sometimes I remove the boil hops before the steep is complete.  Most of the time all the boil hops are there for the entire steep.  The steep hops are usually in a hop bag.  I give the bag a few pokes midway through the steep which releases a nice puff of green.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:28 am »
Judging by the replies, best practice is whatever works for you. Yay, nobody is doing it wrong.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:55:19 am »
Judging by the replies, best practice is whatever works for you.

Yep, applies to a lot of aspects of brewing.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:39:50 am »
For my IPA's with no boil additions, I kill the heat, then add the hops as soon as all boiling activity stops. I put the lid on and give it a good stir every 5-10 minutes. I've steeped as long as 90 minutes, but I usually do 45 minutes to an hour.

For APA's and other hoppy brews where I want a controlled IBU level, I kill the heat and wait until my wort gets down to 185ish before adding my steep hops. I only brew 3 gallons, so I don't really have to use a chiller. 5 minutes of stirring with the lid off usually gets the temp down in the range I want.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer