Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: omega yeast  (Read 9529 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
omega yeast
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »
Stopped at the LHBS and picked up an omega yeast 004 liquid pack just to try it. The guy told me no nutrient pack to smack just let it get to room temp (3hours min on the package) and pitch. So I waited around 5 hours shook it up and pitched it. This was at 9pm. At 7am the next morning no action at all so i threw on the old us05 and away it went. Omega doesn't give any info on the pack or on the website but they are local to me that's why i tried it. The brew shop said i should have waited longer 12 to 48 hours for the fermentation to start!!! That seems excessive to have to wait that long for yeast that are just snoozing right?
Any input would be appreciated im still learning.
Thanks,
Jim
Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: omega yeast
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:25:37 pm »
Depending on the size of the pitch, 6-48 hour lag is normal. Does the pack not the cell count?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:57:48 pm »
+1

10 hours is asking a lot of a single pack of yeast. Just because you don't see activity early on doesn't mean the yeast aren't working. they are reproducing which does look so exciting.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:08 pm »
Do you have any idea what the cell count on that particular package of yeast from that manufacturer is? Not being familiar with the company's products, I don't want to rush to judgment - but for Wyeast and White Labs starters are always recommended (or pitch multiple packages of yeast).

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:53:17 pm »
Liquid yeast without a starter can easily take 1-2 days before fermentation really takes off.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:27 am »
Liquid yeast without a starter can easily take 1-2 days before fermentation really takes off.

So its ok to wait up to 48 hours before i see anything happening? Before I can see the bubbler going is there an way i can tell the yeast are working? I would like to harvest some of the yeast from this batch which will be my first time.
Thanks guys,
Jimmykx250

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:52:03 am »

So its ok to wait up to 48 hours before i see anything happening? Before I can see the bubbler going is there an way i can tell the yeast are working? I would like to harvest some of the yeast from this batch which will be my first time.
Thanks guys,
Jim,
I would recommend you learn to make a starter for your liquid yeast next time. It will give give you peace of mind in knowing that you are pitching fresh, viable yeast. Then you can rdwhahb and wait patiently for things to get going, which won't take as long because you made a starter!
You can harvest yeast from this batch. But because you pitched a blend, you will harvest a blend and you won't know what proportions of each yeast you have. But that's OK as long the beer you harvest from is free of contamination and tastes good.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:01:36 am »
+1 - you wouldn't use half as much grain or hops for any given recipe, so why use only half the amount of yeast you need? Use the calculator at www.mrmalty.com to get an ideda how much yeast you need for any batch.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:35 am »
Anybody here have any experience with their strains ?  I hadn't heard of the company until this thread started. They seem to have a handful of strains.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:18 am »

I hadn't heard of the company until this thread started.

Same. I tired to find a store selling online and came up with nothing. Honestly I looked for 2 minutes, but still.

Offline josephbauer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 06:53:56 am »
Omega Yeast (www.omegayeast.com). I remember hearing about them at AHA in one of the conferences - I forget which one.  :(
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:43 am »
Too many yeast strains and so little time to try each one out....ahhhh...the dilemmas
 of a home brewer!

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:18 am »
Yes... From their site:
Omega Yeast is available at the following stores:
Brew Camp
4639 N Damen Ave.  |  Chicago, IL 60625  |  (773) 784-2400
821 Chicago Ave.  |  Evanston, IL 60602  |  (847) 869-7127

Chicago Brew Werks
14903 S. Center Street  |  Plainfield, IL 60544  |  815-531-5557

Home Brew Shop, Ltd
225 West Main St.  |  St. Charles, IL 60174  |  630-377-1338

Chicagoland Winemakers, Inc.
689 W. North Ave.  |  Elmhurst, IL 60126  |  630-834-0507

Valpo Brew’s
307 E. Lincolnway Blvd.  |  Valparaiso, IN 46383  |  219-462-2233

What’s Brewing? Supply
335 W Northwest Highway  |  Palatine, Il 60067  |  847-359-Brew(2739)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:05:27 am »
I meant an online retailer. I checked two of the listed shops and neither had that yeast available online.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:22:49 am »
a quick search shows that http://chicagolandwinemakers.com/info.html ships but it looks like you would have to call in your order.  I didn't see the Omega yeast listed on their site... but I'm betting the website isn't a complete listing.

http://www.chicagobrewwerks.com/yeast-omega-yeast-labs has an online shop that sells them.

https://brewcamp.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home has an online store but Omega yeasts aren't listed.. may have to call for that one as well...

BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"