Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian Tripel Yeast  (Read 2601 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian Tripel Yeast
« on: June 30, 2021, 03:57:19 pm »
Anyone try this yeast for a tripel?  A search of the archives here revealed that one brewer was happy with it for a dubbel, but I would like to hear from someone who used it on a honest-to-god 1.080 tripel. I bought a couple of packets of it whilst I was in Denver a couple of months ago, as I was surprised to find a dry yeast actually specified for tripels, but I don't want to waste my precious continental pilsner malt on it if it isn't as advertised - I would just make a 1.055 Belgian blonde with Malteurop pale malt instead.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian Tripel Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 06:41:27 pm »
Mangrove Jack represents it as a Belgian Tripel strain with a listed alcohol tolerance of 12%. Would you rather take the word of a stranger, who may or may not be qualified to give an opinion, or from the producer?
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 08:32:32 am »
Mangrove Jack represents it as a Belgian Tripel strain with a listed alcohol tolerance of 12%. Would you rather take the word of a stranger, who may or may not be qualified to give an opinion, or from the producer?

I'd take the word of someone who's used it, stranger or not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 08:42:50 am »
What Denny said. What's a manufacturer going to say? "Our tripel yeast really isn't that good for a tripel, for high gravity pale beers fermented with it, the resultant beer will taste more like a Grand Cru saison than a tripel."

Maybe I will have to be the guinea pig and try it. There could be worse things than ending up with a Grand Cru saison kind of beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 09:39:04 am »
What Denny said. What's a manufacturer going to say? "Our tripel yeast really isn't that good for a tripel, for high gravity pale beers fermented with it, the resultant beer will taste more like a Grand Cru saison than a tripel."

Maybe I will have to be the guinea pig and try it. There could be worse things than ending up with a Grand Cru saison kind of beer.

The other thing to Keep in mind is that MJ doesn't produce yeasts.  They source them from other companies and repackage them.  So this one is already out there somewhere. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 10:42:04 am »

The other thing to Keep in mind is that MJ doesn't produce yeasts.  They source them from other companies and repackage them.  So this one is already out there somewhere.

I did not know that, thanks. Coincidentally, I also have a couple of packets of LalBrew Abbaye yeast. This calls for a 10 gallon batch, split between the two yeasts.

My most recent split batch was an English pale ale, split between Wyeast 1318 London Ale III and Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire. My taste preference hands down was the 1469 - those stone fruit esters are hard to beat.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 03:13:18 pm »

And MJ isn't at all averse to calling a thing something other than what it really is. After a lengthy back and forth series of emails their rep finally admitted to me that their M-54 California Lager yeast is actually Sacc. C., not Sacc. Pastorianus, their only real Lager yeast is M-76 Bavarian.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 06:26:14 pm »
MJ probably doesn't really know what they are selling.  Their info is only as good as the source yeast manufacturer... which is often lacking even from the real manufacturers.

FYI -- far as I know, M84 is also a legitimate lager yeast, identical to Fermentis S-23, and related to... Wyeast 2001 Urquell.  Yup, real genomic science.

Back to the OP -- I haven't used any Mangrove Jack yeasts yet, the only reason being that it's not widely available in my area yet.  If I find some and the price is right, I'll try it sometime.  I would expect M31 to come out about the same as Fermentis BE-134.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 06:32:51 pm »
I've used M31 once, a few months ago, in a 1046 Belgian pale. There were two different colours of grains, so a blend of two yeasts or a yeast and something else? Enzyme or nutrient?

The beer was pretty good, and I had a surprising moment when I discovered Du Pont on keg in a local bar here in England, and on tasting it immediately thought how similar it was to the M31 beer back at home. Not the same, of course, and not drunk side by side, but ball park and close enough to trigger that thought.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 02:47:33 pm »
So I brewed my 10 gallon batch on September 8 and split 5 gallons each  to be fermented by M31 and Abbaye.

These are two different yeasts. After 16 days, the Abbaye yeastis starting to clear up nicely while the Mangrove Jack M31 is still cloudy as yellow pea soup, although the krausen has fallen.

I took hydrometer measurements, and tasted the flat warm beer samples.  The Abbaye yeast has a nice fruity profile with subdued phenols, while the M31 is more of a phenolic profile with subdued fruit. Both are enjoyable.  A friend of mine told me that he brewed a M31 tripel and did not really care for it at first, and gave a lot of it away. He finally tried it again out of the keg after a few months and said it was fantastic.

The SG of the Abbaye is 1.005, while the M31 read 1.008. Think I will keg the Abbaye this weekend, and let the M31 go for another week. Might have to keg it, hit it with gelatin, then transfer to another keg.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 04:04:24 pm »
Thanks for the comparison.  I have not used either one of these yeasts yet, but your results are very consistent with my notes.  Good to know what to expect when the time comes -- I see myself trying each of these in future.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.