Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirfloc Question  (Read 4155 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Whirfloc Question
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:58 pm »
Recently brewed a 5 gallon extract w. one Whifloc tablet. After brewing (before pitching) I took an OG reading and I noticed that the Whirlfloc had already started to work in the hydrometer test jar (very clear beer with big clumps of protein).
Took an FG reading tonight (~2 weeks in primary)and I noticed the beer was somewhat cloudy. The only difference is that I'm dry hopping and maybe it's sediment. Any thoughts?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Whirfloc Question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:53:05 pm »
Whirlflock works on proteins in the wort. It is a kettle fining. It won't help clarity as far as yeast goes. It really just helps drop out hot break proteins.

Also, for a 5 gallon batch you should use half a tablet.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:15:25 pm »
So you're saying it should be extra clear?  :o

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:19:53 pm »

IM pretty sure hes saying it clears certain things but not others, and needs to be used in tandem with things like cold crashing and/or gelatin/finings.

:D
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:21:07 pm »
Gotcha. Just odd it worked so well initially then it didn't look like it was working. Perhaps the yeast was the issue.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:23:43 pm »
Gotcha. Just odd it worked so well initially then it didn't look like it was working. Perhaps the yeast was the issue.

Yeast is certainly one of the issues.  Why do you think a hefeweizen(for example) is cloudy but something like a lager isnt?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:52 pm »

No, you just used twice as much as needed. OTOH have the instructions say something like 1 tablet per 5 degrees plato per barrel. IIRC. So higher gravity beers and lower gravity beers use more or less respectively.

Also, as I said, it works on the kettle only. Absolutely you will need fining or filtering or time to drop out yeast. And it may not work as well on chill haze. I think it works best to drop out hot break. Cold break is another story entirely.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
FWIW, the label says to use one tablet per 5-10 gallons.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:36:18 pm »
FWIW, the label says to use one tablet per 5-10 gallons.

So, if you use 1 tablet per 10 gallons per instructions .... you'd think you could use half for 5. Hey, it's your money. That stuff sure doesn't smell or taste good so I'd rather not use too much.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:48:29 pm »
I actually used a half tablet in a one gallon batch and didn't taste anything.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:59 am »
There has been SO much discussion and disagreement about how much Whirlfoc to use and when to use it, I did something that apparently few people have done...I contacted a technical person at the company!  Yeah, I know, a pretty radical solution.  Here's the reply....

"As a general rule of thumb 1 tablet will treat 15 - 25 litres of wort depending on the grist composition. The tablets should be added to the kettle 10 minutes before the end of the boil"
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:17:08 am »
Which do you guys prefer to use, moss or whirlfloc? I used to use moss, now i usually use floc because its more convenient (aka laziness on my part for not wanting to/forgetting to measure out the moss)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:22:15 am »
Which do you guys prefer to use, moss or whirlfloc? I used to use moss, now i usually use floc because its more convenient (aka laziness on my part for not wanting to/forgetting to measure out the moss)

i use irish moss because I can get it organic and I don't bother to measure perse. a 5 gallon batch get's a small palm full while a 10 gallon batch gets a large palm full. very scientific
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:10:05 am »

I think they're equally effective.  For some reason, though, I keep buying Whirlfloc.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 12:06:40 pm »

i use irish moss because I can get it organic and I don't bother to measure perse. a 5 gallon batch get's a small palm full while a 10 gallon batch gets a large palm full. very scientific

That's exactly what I do.

My brother-in-law (also a brewer) looked at me like I just killed his mother when watched me do it that way one day.  He was like, you have to rehydrate, you have to let it sit, you can't just throw it in the boiling wort!!

All I could say was "how's that beer you're drinking?".   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?