Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation low on bottle conditioned beer. Suggestions Wanted  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
I've got a red ale bottle conditioning that spent 14 days in primary, 18 in secondary, and 13 days bottle conditioning at about 73 F after being bottled with plenty of sugar per priming calculator.

When I opened a chilled bottle last night and put it in a very cold mug, the beer tasted fine, but was otherwise quite flat i.e. very minimal carbonation.

I inverted all the bottles for a few seconds then turned them back upright and plan to do this every other day for about a week before sampling another bottle.

I used Safale US-05 and the beer was properly fermented, but carbonation is low.

Any other suggestions.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Carbonation low on bottle conditioned beer. Suggestions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:12 am »
It's possible that your very cold mug provided nucleation sites for CO2, which knocked it out if solution and made the beer less carbed.  Try it in a room temp glass to see if this may have been the issue.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:46 am »
Denny,

You may be right, but what is puzzling to me is that other brews that I've made have developed a good head instantly as they are being poured.  And, I am one of those crazy guys that like to drink ales at 40 F versus the "politically-correct" temp of 55 to 57 F.

Thanks
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:51 am »
Don't invert the bottles more than once. Once should be enough, otherwise, you're risking oxidation. It takes more time than 13 days sometimes. You need to be patient.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:12 am »
Denny,

You may be right, but what is puzzling to me is that other brews that I've made have developed a good head instantly as they are being poured.  And, I am one of those crazy guys that like to drink ales at 40 F versus the "politically-correct" temp of 55 to 57 F.

Thanks

Yes, and it's not "politically correct"....it's simply the best way to perceive flavors.  After all the work I out into my beer, I don't want it hidden by drinking it too cold.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:54 am »
The extra time in secondary may have dropped out enough yeast to make bottle carbonation slow. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:07:39 am »
The extra time in secondary may have dropped out enough yeast to make bottle carbonation slow.

I don't think that's enough time to matter.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:59 am »
  After all the work I out into my beer, I don't want it hidden by drinking it too cold.

Yep, I agree.
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:09:00 am »
I brewed an Irish Red this spring and bottled conditioned it. I also had low carbonation, at first. But, I let it age another six weeks and the carbonation and flavor turned out quite nice. Sometimes, just a little more time in the bottle does wonders.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline sbruening

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:34 am »
I had a question closely related to this topic and instead of transferring my beer to a secondary, I'm going to leave my beer in the primary for an extended period of time to see how that works out.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »
Thanks for your tips.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:12 pm »
I remember a time when I would see a sign reading Coldest Beer In Town and think Oh Ya! Nowadays I just chuckle and think... whatever.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 06:05:20 am »

I remember a time when I would see a sign reading Coldest Beer In Town and think Oh Ya! Nowadays I just chuckle and think... whatever.

Twin Peaks does this. They have a large red LED display on the wall showing the temp of their beer. Makes me burp too much.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:41:21 am »
Well, you can always let the beer warm up. Easier to do that than having it be too warm and wanting to cool it down.
Jesse

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:55 am »
How warm was the beer in secondary? Temperature will affect the amount of CO2 already dissolved in your beer (from fermentation) and priming calculators assume you have the amount of dissolved CO2 in your beer for a beer that has been sitting at 70F. If the secondary got much warmer than that then you likely lost some of that CO2 and needed to prime with additional sugar.

However, your beer may just need a few extra days to finish carbonating.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing