Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aerating Wort Techniques  (Read 7175 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Aerating Wort Techniques
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 01:10:25 pm »
Man I can't believe you guys are stirring to aerate... Use a venturi tube it's simple and you get to let physics do all the work for you.  You just need to stick a T in your current line you run from your kettle (or after the plate/counterflow chiller) and stick a sanitary air filter on the part of the T that sticks out.  Done.

Dan, I've tried that.  The MixStir is much more effective.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 01:11:26 pm »
The main reason I stopped mixing of splashing etc was because your are indeed aerating the wort... but you're also putting whatever is in that air INTO your wort (and probably a good deal of what is on your arm?)  Maybe not a huge concern (I never had an infected batch from it or anyting) but I do reuse yeast pretty often... Anytime I can increase sanitation without more effort I'm happy.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:11:46 pm »
Funny. I went from the pump and stone to the mix stir. I was tired of cleaning the stone and tubing. I rinse the mix stir after use and clean and sanitize before use.

As far as the head retention, haven't noticed a difference. I figure that would also cause issues when using the shake carb method. Ehh. I am pretty sure Denny uses, or at one time used, the mix stir method. A buddy of mine has been using on or 5+ years.

Still a MixStir user and advocate.  I stopped using the O2 setup for the same reasons as you, combined with the fact that I got equivalent results with the MixStir.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »
I saw a study indicating that an aquarium pump wasn't that effective and that shaking the carboy (or bucket) to create a vortex for 40 seconds worked.  Now I shake the carboy.  I have always racked the wort so that it trickles down the side of the carboy (or bucket) to get some aeration there too.  I usually use a mix stir while wort chilling to get faster cooling and a little aeration.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 01:12:10 pm »

Yes you would not want to aerate your wort at 80-90F that's for sure.  If I couldn't cool below that I would be using a pre chiller... I didn't say it's easier because it uses physics... I said it was easier because the physics does all the work for you (vs you having to expend energy whipping the hell out of it ;-))

Just messin. If I could I would totally use a venturi. pretty sure that's what leos uses, or did. at some point I will build a prechiller but I am cheap and lazy, or at least when it comes down to it I always spend my limited brewing dollars on ingredients.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:08 pm »
Man I can't believe you guys are stirring to aerate... Use a venturi tube it's simple and you get to let physics do all the work for you.  You just need to stick a T in your current line you run from your kettle (or after the plate/counterflow chiller) and stick a sanitary air filter on the part of the T that sticks out.  Done.

Dan, I've tried that.  The MixStir is much more effective.
Hmm not sure what you may have been doing wrong then... I often would have to 'plug' it towards the end due to foam overflowing from the fermenter lol.  Perhaps the T you were using didn't reduce the diameter of the tubing enough... The more you narrow that the harder it will 'suck'.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »
The main reason I stopped mixing of splashing etc was because your are indeed aerating the wort... but you're also putting whatever is in that air INTO your wort (and probably a good deal of what is on your arm?)  Maybe not a huge concern (I never had an infected batch from it or anyting) but I do reuse yeast pretty often... Anytime I can increase sanitation without more effort I'm happy.

If I had problems I'd stop doing it.  But I've used the MixStir hundreds of times without problems.  For me, the low cost, effectiveness and ease of use outweigh concern about things that haven't happened.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »

Yes you would not want to aerate your wort at 80-90F that's for sure.  If I couldn't cool below that I would be using a pre chiller... I didn't say it's easier because it uses physics... I said it was easier because the physics does all the work for you (vs you having to expend energy whipping the hell out of it ;-))

Just messin. If I could I would totally use a venturi. pretty sure that's what leos uses, or did. at some point I will build a prechiller but I am cheap and lazy, or at least when it comes down to it I always spend my limited brewing dollars on ingredients.

For sure... I have my old immersion chiller that I say I will use for a prechiller if needed... but I never actually use it for that with my plate chiller... Even though right now my water is like 68F... and I can't fully chill...Laziness is always a factor ;-)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:31 pm »
I spent $60 on the copper and parts for a pre-chiller. I will never see that money again. It saves me time and saves everybody water. I guess the 20-30 minutes it saves per brewday is worth a lot.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:12 pm »
I spent $60 on the copper and parts for a pre-chiller. I will never see that money again. It saves me time and saves everybody water. I guess the 20-30 minutes it saves per brewday is worth a lot.

For sure... My main issue with the pre-chiller is always Ice... I don't have an ice maker so I would have to go buy Ice every brew day in the summer... I'm just too lazy/busy for that during the brew day.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »

For sure... My main issue with the pre-chiller is always Ice... I don't have an ice maker so I would have to go buy Ice every brew day in the summer... I'm just too lazy/busy for that during the brew day.

Didn't even think about ice. I get 20lbs for $2 at a local self serve ice shack. I also by my RO there, though I might start buying it from the grocery store since they have the last service date listed on the machine.

Offline sbruening

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 02:10:10 pm »
Wow, okay, this is a crap more information then I expected within only a few hours of making the post.  As of right now I've just been stirring the wort while in the kettle when the wort chiller is cooling it down.  I then pour the wort through a strainer into my fermenter, then pitch the yeast.  I think I might be wanting to pay more attention to aerating and looking into some of these methods.

Thanks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 02:25:25 pm »
Wow, okay, this is a crap more information then I expected within only a few hours of making the post.  As of right now I've just been stirring the wort while in the kettle when the wort chiller is cooling it down.  I then pour the wort through a strainer into my fermenter, then pitch the yeast.  I think I might be wanting to pay more attention to aerating and looking into some of these methods.

Thanks

we like to help ;D

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »

Thanks

It's like you thought we had anything better to do, huh?

To follow up on what others have said about getting the wort down, I use my immersion chiller until it's under at least 90, then transfer to the carboy and stick it in my fermentation chamber until it is pitching temp.  Then I aerate and pitch.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:28 pm »
I went on craigslist and got a medical oxygen bottle on a roller stand with an awesome adjustable regulator.
The little number 1 on the left indicates the flow rate which in this setting is 1 liter of O2 per minute!  It can't get any easier.  This tank will last me for years and then is only $15 to exchange.  No more messing around with those little red cans and the horrible regulator that I've been using on it.

Then I use a .05 micron stone on the end of a stainless tube - easy to clean and easy to put where I want it.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy153/yso191/1E895EE5-5E8E-4261-9F5D-965856561DA8-1533-000000F52BF3B04A_zps3aa4d5ec.jpg

THIS. IS. FREAKIN. SWEET.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/