Author Topic: Aerating Wort Techniques  (Read 1300 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Aerating Wort Techniques
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
I drain the chilled wort thru a handheld fine mesh strainer into the fermenter splashing it into the fermenter. Seems to work great so far. Of course, I am not a competitor. I drink what I brew and I have no complaints!  LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntsville AL

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
Ok, for the stoners out there (no, I mean users of aeration stones with O2), how do you clean and sanitize it? Soak in PBW and then Star San or bake it or what?  I had an infected batch that I attributed to the stainless aeration stone I used on successive batches on a single brew day - soaking it in iodophor wasn't enough, evidently that one time (read the last time I used the stone).  Just too many bacteria caves in the little bugger for my preferences.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 05:23:03 PM »
Ok, for the stoners out there (no, I mean users of aeration stones with O2), how do you clean and sanitize it? Soak in PBW and then Star San or bake it or what?  I had an infected batch that I attributed to the stainless aeration stone I used on successive batches on a single brew day - soaking it in iodophor wasn't enough, evidently that one time (read the last time I used the stone).  Just too many bacteria caves in the little bugger for my preferences.

I have never had an infected batch - which isn't proof of best practices - but here is what I do:

One of the first things I do on a brew day is get things sanitizing.  This means the stone (permanently attached to the stainless tube) sits in Star-san for about 4 hours.  When I get ready to Aerate the wort I always start the oxygen flowing while it is still in the Star-san.  This forces the Star-san through the stone.  When I see oxygen coming out I swing it into the wort.  Afterward I immediately submerse it again in the Star-san.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
Thought I read on here that star San was bad for stones. So I have been boiling mine post use and storing in a zip lock till next use. Use the zip lock or gloved hands to attach to end I hose or wand as human oils can be very sticky and clog the stone. Pretty sure I got all this from here somewhere couple months ago

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: House IPA
Conditioning: The Queen's Diamonds EBW
In Bottles: Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter),Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki
In the works: German(?) Style IPA with Pils, Munich, Vienna. Bittered with Herkules, late Mandarina Bavaria and Hull Melon,More Pilsner(yes its that good,) You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
I spent $60 on the copper and parts for a pre-chiller. I will never see that money again. It saves me time and saves everybody water. I guess the 20-30 minutes it saves per brewday is worth a lot.

You are in Texas. I never saw a really big difference using a prechiller. Using 50 ft of 1/2 inch copper, and the Jamil return line, 10 gallons gets down from boiling to 65F in 14 minutes in winter. Summer not so fast.

I know that there is an optimal flow rate with a pre chiller, but never figured it out analytically. Slow will maximize the prechiller, but minimize the main immersion chiller. Anyone have a best practice?
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 07:27:13 PM »
I run my hose as slow as the vacuum breaker on the hose bib will allow.

I have experimented with rock salt in the pre-chiller. Not sure if it helped or not, but at a couple of bucks per box, it's worth trying.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 05:32:14 AM »

I have never had an infected batch - which isn't proof of best practices - but here is what I do:

One of the first things I do on a brew day is get things sanitizing.  This means the stone (permanently attached to the stainless tube) sits in Star-san for about 4 hours.  When I get ready to Aerate the wort I always start the oxygen flowing while it is still in the Star-san.  This forces the Star-san through the stone.  When I see oxygen coming out I swing it into the wort.  Afterward I immediately submerse it again in the Star-san.

My process is very similar, except I don't keep my stone in the Star-san more than a few minutes. My stone isn't on a stainless rod, either. My system came with the stone at the end of a flexible hose; I cut the hose and patched in the inner tube from an auto-siphon to simulate the stainless rod. The stone is on there really tight, so removing it for baking would be an issue. But no infections (**sound of knocking on wood**)

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
I can see the advantages of the rod, but the "flexible" hose that came with mine is fairly stiff and I have not had any problems getting it where I want it. I have only used it 3-4 times so far though, so it may loosen up a bit and then I like the idea of using auto-siphon if it does loosen up too much
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: House IPA
Conditioning: The Queen's Diamonds EBW
In Bottles: Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter),Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki
In the works: German(?) Style IPA with Pils, Munich, Vienna. Bittered with Herkules, late Mandarina Bavaria and Hull Melon,More Pilsner(yes its that good,) You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »
... The aerator has been repurposed to continuously blow air on to the top of my yeast starters.

This brings up something that has been rolling around in my head for a while.  I have a stir plate and a 2L flask that I use to make yeast starters in the standard way.  My (admittedly simplistic) understanding of the process is that the yeast need O2 to multiply, and the stir plate combined with a loosely fitting foil cover let the wort be continuously oxygenated.  Clearly this works, at least in my experience.  I should probably just stop there.

And yet when I take the foil off and flame the mouth of the flask, the lighter goes out as soon as it gets much below the lip of the flask.  I never really believed that much O2 was being exchanged, and this simple test seems to confirm that suspicion.   So I had been wondering about trying to blow a little clean air or O2 in the flask from time to time.  I had never read about this before, and had even wondered whether I was the first to think of being more proactive about oxygenating a starter.  The hubris of being a newbie...

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:43 PM »
A decent amount of I 2oz pulled in at the beginning of the starter but once fermentation kicks in its just about keeping the yeast in suspension again.  This is why I pump the air in so it gets air the whole time.  It's suppose to give the yeast more sterole reserves or something... Been awhile since I looked into it... Have just been doing it for quite awhile.  I think Kai wrote something about it not too long ago.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 04:03:12 AM »
A decent amount of I 2oz pulled in at the beginning of the starter but once fermentation kicks in its just about keeping the yeast in suspension again.  This is why I pump the air in so it gets air the whole time.  It's suppose to give the yeast more sterole reserves or something... Been awhile since I looked into it... Have just been doing it for quite awhile.  I think Kai wrote something about it not too long ago.

I have used my aquarium pump to get sterile filtered air into the top of the fermenter, to simulate open fermentation. Not sure if it helped, but it didn't hurt.
Jeff Rankert

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:59 AM »

I have used my aquarium pump to get sterile filtered air into the top of the fermenter, to simulate open fermentation. Not sure if it helped, but it didn't hurt.

Hmm there's an idea... Never thought of that.  How long did you leave it on pumping air in?
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 07:06:04 AM »

Hmm there's an idea... Never thought of that.  How long did you leave it on pumping air in?
3 days or so. It was for a Saison.
Jeff Rankert