Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barleywine Yeast Suggestions  (Read 10845 times)

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
Barleywine Yeast Suggestions
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:05:53 pm »
Knocking out an English Barleywine in a few weeks. Looking to use WLP007 Dry English. Does anyone have recommendations based on yeast successes or failures via ~12.5% strong ales? Any advice will help, seeing as this will be my first mega brew.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Barleywine Yeast Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:19:01 pm »
More than the yeast strain, I hear that mash temp is critical to set up the yeast for success - low and long.  But for an English style BW, you can finish it with some Champagne yeast, if the yeast selected happen to poop out.  The 12.5% ABV is pretty high for most standard English yeast strains, but they may be up to the task.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:23:13 pm »
WLP 1028 is not a bad choice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:23:41 pm »
I guess WLP 099 is English Strong Ale strain FWIW...all the way to 25% ABV, supposedly.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 07:36:19 pm »
I'm currently planning to mash at 151. When formulating my recipe, BeerSmith says I should hit 1.026 FG. Then again, you really can never nail the FG perfectly with bigger beers. Only about 9% specialty grains, so I'm thinking that will also help the attenuation.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:41 pm »
I'm currently planning to mash at 151. When formulating my recipe, BeerSmith says I should hit 1.026 FG. Then again, you really can never nail the FG perfectly with bigger beers. Only about 9% specialty grains, so I'm thinking that will also help the attenuation.

Got a recipe? 1.026 sounds kinda high.  I would mash at 148 for 90-120 minutes
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:23:06 pm »
mash at 148 and skip the specialty grains is my suggestion. 12.5 is fine for dry english. I've done that without trouble in the past.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:51 am »
I've always stuck with wlpoo7 for my English style barley wines and have great success with that strain for that style.

I personally find that the sweet spot for English BW is 9-10%. Much higher than this I find them less enjoyable. But then again, I'm not a fan of many beers over 10%.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:54:34 am by majorvices »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:07:21 am »

He has not said what the OG was. A FG of 1.026 is in the range for a beer that starts at 1.100+. I brewed one 3 weeks back that had an OG of 1.115, and used Wyeast 1028. I might rack to a keg today, and will see what the FG is. Will report back when I know. It was a Thomas Hardy clone.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:04:01 am »

He has not said what the OG was. A FG of 1.026 is in the range for a beer that starts at 1.100+. I brewed one 3 weeks back that had an OG of 1.115, and used Wyeast 1028. I might rack to a keg today, and will see what the FG is. Will report back when I know. It was a Thomas Hardy clone.

+1. You wouldn't want an unusually dry barley wine. Most of my RIS starting over 1.100 finish above 1.020. An OG wort that starts at 1.100 and finishes at 1.020 would be 80% aa, which is probably about as dry as you would want.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:08:58 am »
FWIW, my last 1.100 BW finished at 1.023 IIRC.  I thought it was about the perfect FG for that beer - not too sweet, not unusually dry.
Jon H.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:55 am »

I'm doing a partigyle mash:
First runnings - Barleywine OG: 1.110 (46 IBUs)
Second runnings - Alt OG: 1.055 (35 IBUs)

Grist:
28# MO
2# Biscuit
1# Special B
1/2# 40L
1/2# 80L
1/2# 120L
1/2# Chocolate [add for Alt vorlauf/sparge]

Looking through the description, Wy1028 may be a perfect fit. I've changed some things around and dropped some #'s of base malt so that my gravity isn't so high. Had to sleep on it a little.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:30 am »
this is also something of a personal preference but a 46 IBU barley wine is going to taste sweet almost no matter what the FG is. even english barley wine needs a solid hop bitterness to balance all that sweetness from the alcohol not to mention the residual sugars I would aim for closer to 80 for that beer but again, personal preference. I don't care for sweet barley wine that much.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:43:41 am »
this is also something of a personal preference but a 46 IBU barley wine is going to taste sweet almost no matter what the FG is. even english barley wine needs a solid hop bitterness to balance all that sweetness from the alcohol not to mention the residual sugars I would aim for closer to 80 for that beer but again, personal preference. I don't care for sweet barley wine that much.

+1.  And by the time it ages a bit, that bitterness will fade some too.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:49 am »
Couple of things strike me as off. That's a hell of a lot of crystal malt and that won't taste anything like an alt, though it may be a fine beer non-the-less.