Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unfiltered beer  (Read 4950 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Unfiltered beer
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 08:50:35 am »
S04 will drop like a rock but it never seemed to dry out as much as I liked for American styles.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 08:57:24 am »
S04 will drop like a rock but it never seemed to dry out as much as I liked for American styles.

+1
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 11:04:19 am »
Carbing in the bottles will then take longer, presumably?

perhaps slightly, but since it is fresh healthy yeast, if you keep the bottles in a 75-80f space they should carb up plenty fast.
Hmmm, perhaps. It might take a little bit longer. I've got a dampfbier carbonating now that I cold crashed for 5 days, bottled it, and it's been 2 weeks. It's still bit light on carbonation. I trust that it will carbonate, but it just might take 4 weeks to get there. It's damn clear though, and I like that. And there's just a dusting on the bottom of the bottle (like Sierra Nevada) and I also really like that.
I would add yeast to my bottling "bucket" (keg), but I don't want to waste most of a pack.  The extra time waiting for it to carb is good for the beer anyway. I'm usually drinking all my beer (on tap) waaaaay too early and young.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 11:24:09 am »
I've got a dampfbier carbonating now........

Hey, I'll be curious to hear how that dampfbier comes out for you. It's a style I've wanted to brew for a while and I always end up brewing something else. And I assume it was mostly Pils with some Munich ?

Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 12:30:44 pm »
I've got a dampfbier carbonating now........

Hey, I'll be curious to hear how that dampfbier comes out for you. It's a style I've wanted to brew for a while and I always end up brewing something else. And I assume it was mostly Pils with some Munich ?

Yeah, that's basically it. Kind of Oktoberfest-y with that phenolic hefe yeast character. Nice an clear and gold, bordering on amber. Instead of Munich malt I used Red X malt. I think it was 65% Weyermann floor malted pils and 35% Red X. It's a nice beer. Still needs time to carbonate, but I've been drinking about one a week to check it out. Another couple weeks it ought to be good to go.
Jesse