Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest style without lagering???  (Read 7181 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Oktoberfest style without lagering???
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:24 am »
I did a quick search on "Mocktoberfest" and there are some really good ideas in threads past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:30 am »
I think you're much better off using a lager strain that tolerates warmer temps than using an ale strain. WY2124 or Saflager 34/70 will get you closer than any ale strain, even pushing the low 60s for fermentation temps. The yeast character is distinctly different between an Alt, Koelsch or lager strain.

I disagree.  I made much better pseudoests with WY1007 than 2124.  Much cleaner.

I guess fermentation temps and personal preference are the deciding factor here. As clean as it may be, WY1007 still produces a characteristic fermentation profile that tastes more like an Alt than a lager to me. To me, that lager yeast fermentation character is more important.

WY1007 is extremely clean and edges in on lager territory, but the key is to ferment it at 54. My opinion is that Chico is cleaner than Wy1007 in temps in the 60s.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 05:53:55 am »
I think you're much better off using a lager strain that tolerates warmer temps than using an ale strain. WY2124 or Saflager 34/70 will get you closer than any ale strain, even pushing the low 60s for fermentation temps. The yeast character is distinctly different between an Alt, Koelsch or lager strain.

+1 I'm a big fan of 2124. Besides being clean at ale temps, it's incredibly easy to work with and forgiving. One of the best beers I ever made was a black lager fermented with 2124 at low ale temps (forgot exactly what, but I think it was around 16C) and no starter. It came out super clean and super awesome.

My last 2 beers were also with 2124. The first was a more traditional German-ish lager fermented at 11C, then I scraped the fermenter and added it to a session APA-like-thing at about 18C. I just tasted it last night and it's really clean and malty. I think if I upped the malt and mellowed the hops, I could call it a reasonable effort Octoberfest. Or something.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »
Did someone say 2124? Love that yeast.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:13 am »

It's dry equivalent, Saflager 34/70, is fantastic as well.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:58 am »

+1
Jon H.

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:49 pm »
I also really like 2124 or 34/70.  It does really well at the higher end of lager fermentation temps.  You can easily maintain temps in the mid to upper 50's with an ice bath set-up using a cooler or a storage tub. 

I also like San Fran lager yeast for a "mocktoberfest" style beer.  I've done this a bunch of times.  i.e. Used my standard fest bier grain bill but used San Fran (WLP810 or WY2112) fermented in the low 60's and then cold conditioned in the keezer for a month or so.  Makes a nice malty clean brew.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 07:46:18 pm »

I also really like 2124 or 34/70.  It does really well at the higher end of lager fermentation temps.  You can easily maintain temps in the mid to upper 50's with an ice bath set-up using a cooler or a storage tub. 

I also like San Fran lager yeast for a "mocktoberfest" style beer.  I've done this a bunch of times.  i.e. Used my standard fest bier grain bill but used San Fran (WLP810 or WY2112) fermented in the low 60's and then cold conditioned in the keezer for a month or so.  Makes a nice malty clean brew.

2112 is also very nice yeast.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »

2112 is also very nice yeast.

Also a great RUSH album.