Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: when is the fermenting finished?  (Read 12637 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: when is the fermenting finished?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:50 pm »
That seems like a pretty good "schedule" for ferm times. I have not been rushing anything anymore, or so I thought, but I did bottle my double hazelnut brown (1.085 down to 1.015) after only 3 weeks and my RIS (1.095-1.026) after 4. Both could have used a little more time even though the brown was  attenuated well below predicted and RIS had just stalled completely

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
3 points will for sure overcarb a beer but not double. 'average' american ale carbonation takes about 6 points
Both examples could acctually eek out a couple of more points over time.  With those big beers it really does pay to secondary them for an extended time.  3 points over 2 months in secondary is fine, but those 3 points in bottles can add up to a hugely(double or more) overcarbed beer.

Jeff
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewcrew7

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 05:23:23 am »
Did you aerate your wort and hydrate your yeast before pitching? If you didn't hydrate it is quite possible the viability of your yeast was compromised and your fermentation may be a bit sluggish or stuck. Patience is the key on your first several batches until you get a feel for how your yeast works with the wort and environment you provide it. As I say this however, patience isn't the fix-all either. You may need to find a way to push your fermentation further along (rousing, moving to a warmer temperature, pitching more active fermenting yeast, etc) to avoid a bottling problem. One risk with adding your dry hops too early IMO is that you may lose quite a bit of hop aroma when fermentation restarts/continues. The CO2 produced will blow it off. And it may not sound sexy, but I'd recommend brewing this beer again for your second batch. You'll learn a lot more and be more successful in the long run than if you brewed a different beer every time. Have fun and welcome to the obsession!

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
  • So many craft beers to try, so little time
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:46:03 pm »
We started homebrewing back in March, and are now on our 14th batch. The best lesson learned I can offer from my own experiences is that patience is a virtue. That's really tough to abide by, since I realize how anxious we all are to crack open a bottle of our first homebrew.

But out of the 13 previous batches, our most delicious beers have come from the ones where we've left it in the primary fermenter a lot longer than what you would ever see in any kit instructions. Because of work and personal travel, we needed to leave a saison in a five-gallon bucket for six weeks and cold crashed for a full week after that. We bottled it, and expected the worse (really thought there would have been some serious oxidation), but now we're enjoying what has become one of the best ales we've made so far.

We controlled our fermentation temperature (kept it at a constant 64 degrees) and left an American Pale Ale in the primary bucket for four weeks. We then dry hopped with 3 ounces of Mosaic for another week, and what resulted was the most-delicious beer we've ever produced.

My advice would be, check for FG with your hydrometer, but once reaching terminal gravity, give it another week.

You'll definitely enjoy the results.

Cheers!  :)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:44:19 am by racroce@comcast.net »
"You've never really had a beer until you've had your first homebrew."

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:57 pm »
We started homebrewing back in March, and are now on our 14th batch. The best lesson learned I can offer from my own experiences is that patience is a virtue. That's really tough to abide by, since I realize how anxious we all are to crack open a bottle of our first homebrew.

But out of the 13 previous batches, our most delicious beers have come from the ones where we've left it in the primary fermenter a lot longer than what you would ever see in any kit instructions. Because of work and personal travel, we needed to leave a saison in a five-gallon bucket for six weeks and cold crashed for a full week after that. We bottled it, and expected the worse (really thought there would have been some serious oxidation), but now we're enjoying what has become one of the best ales we've made so far.

We controlled our fermentation temperature (kept it at a constant 64 degrees) and left an American Pale Ale in the primary bucket for four weeks. We then dry hopped with 3 ounces of Mosaic for another week, and what resulted was the most-delicious beer we've ever produced.

My advice would be, check for FG with your hydometer, but once reaching terminal gravity, give it another week.

You'll definitely enjoy the results.

Cheers!  :)

Welcome to the forum,too!  14 batches since March is getting right to it!  Sounds like you are well on your way to making great beer.  And, if you like it.....who cares what anyone else might say.  Although at the rate you are brewing you will probably be tempted to enter a competition soon (and there is nothing wrong with that).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
Thanks for the welcome! We just became AHA members this week! Planning on going to the rally tonight at Boston Beer Co. to meet and swap notes with other, more veteran homebrewers and to taste some great Sam.

Competitions are definitely of interest to us! We're definitely already addicted to the hobby!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »
Thanks for the welcome! We just became AHA members this week! Planning on going to the rally tonight at Boston Beer Co. to meet and swap notes with other, more veteran homebrewers and to taste some great Sam.

Competitions are definitely of interest to us! We're definitely already addicted to the hobby!

What City do you leave in?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 06:37:59 am »

Near Boston.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 06:57:33 am »

Near Boston.

Nice, there are a couple of us from the greater boston area ont he forum:) Welcoem to homebrewing!
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:42 am »

Near Boston.

Nice, there are a couple of us from the greater boston area ont he forum:) Welcoem to homebrewing!
Thanks! Actually, I'm a fellow North Shore brewer (Peabody). Are you a member of the North Shore Brewers? I met a couple of club members at Sam last night, and my wife and I are thinking about joining.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:21 am »
Will Pm to not hijack thread.

Offline aj68roberts

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »
Hello all. Just wanted to share with you all that I just bottled my nugget nectar clone today. It would not have been possible without the help I received from this forum.....  You guys are the best!   

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 05:18:35 am »
Good deal - waiting will never be a problem with homebrew.  Sometimes I leave the beer for 6 weeks in the primary waiting for a keg to open up!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:37 am »
Because of work and personal travel, we needed to leave a saison in a five-gallon bucket for six weeks and cold crashed for a full week after that. We bottled it, and expected the worse (really thought there would have been some serious oxidation), but now we're enjoying what has become one of the best ales we've made so far.

I am not a follower of the always a "month long primary" regime advocated on some other homebrewing boards but saison yeast can really mature with some additional time.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing