Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh (Wet) Hops  (Read 5663 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fresh (Wet) Hops
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »
perhaps you should package in Old English bottles and call it a 40 with 40

Nice
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 05:18:24 pm »
So am I right that the 40 oz breaks down to something like 8 or 10 oz of pellets ?  I ask because one of the Chop and Brew episodes focused on a wet hop ale where they literally crammed the entire pot of wort with a buttload of fresh hops. They all loved the beer IIRC.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »
So am I right that the 40 oz breaks down to something like 8 or 10 oz of pellets ?  I ask because one of the Chop and Brew episodes focused on a wet hop ale where they literally crammed the entire pot of wort with a buttload of fresh hops. They all loved the beer IIRC.

I based this on what Jeff said earlier in the thread with wet hops are 4.5 times as heavy as dry hops. I usually use 10-12 oz pellets in the boil for an IPA. So, if this is accurate, I should be close to what I normally do with pellets. But it varied with each breed.the Cents were about half dried on the bine. They were about 1/2 the weight as the chinooks. I really didn't have much more to work with in order to save some for dry hops. The finished wort certainly tasted very hoppy.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:27:23 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »
Yeah, cool.  Well I'm sure it'll be tasty.  And that grist is pretty much my base IPA grist. Always good.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 05:56:07 pm »
I'm excited to here how this turns out and jealous you're harvesting hops already, mine are at least a month out, centennial and cascade, winter in Chicago took forever to go away and it's been more spring than summer for the last couple months!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 06:18:30 pm »
My aroma varieties like Tett and Hallertau then Centennial will be ready first, then Cascade, Chinook, Sterling, Mt. Hood. Nugget is always last. You are a little head of us, but also a little south which explains some of that.

I dug out my Goldings last year.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 06:25:47 pm »
My aroma varieties like Tett and Hallertau then Centennial will be ready first, then Cascade, Chinook, Sterling, Mt. Hood. Nugget is always last. You are a little head of us, but also a little south which explains some of that.

Did you dig them out because they didn't produce or just didn't use them?
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 04:59:03 am »

They would only produce a handful of small cones after good vegetative growth. Not worth the twine and effort to string them up. They might do better in a mild climate.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 07:24:07 am »

They would only produce a handful of small cones after good vegetative growth. Not worth the twine and effort to string them up. They might do better in a mild climate.

Good to know. I have the same result. Great vegetation growth with very few cones. It's coming out before the changes. I'll cut from my cascade in the spring to replace it.

Any experience with Mt. Hood or Perle?
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 08:03:39 am »

Good to know. I have the same result. Great vegetation growth with very few cones. It's coming out before the changes. I'll cut from my cascade in the spring to replace it.

Any experience with Mt. Hood or Perle?
My Hood does almost as good as Cascade. No Perle in my yard, so no idea.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild