Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flavored Candi Sugars  (Read 1520 times)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Flavored Candi Sugars
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »
Hey forum folk,

So someone posted a picture of their mead ingredients on Instagram and alongside the honey was a jug of "blood orange candi sugar." I've heard of natural fruit flavorings and belgian candi sugars, but nothing that combines the two. It piqued my interest and I googled the company that makes it: Cascade Beer Candi Sugar. Apparently they make a bunch of flavored candi sugars. The few reviews I've come across online seem to be positive.

I thought it could taste good adding some of the blood orange candi sugar (or other fruit flavored candi sugar) in place of the turbinado sugars I use in my saison to add a little twist to my usual recipes. The manufacturer's website says to add it just after high krausen to preserve aromatics and flavors. Sure.

Before trying it out, I wanted to see if anyone on the foum has experience with any of these flavored candi sugar products? If so, what'd you think? Would you use them again? My big concern is creating some sort of overly-artificial tasting fruit flavor you find in subpar fruit beers.

Cheers,
duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Flavored Candi Sugars
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:21:13 pm »
I'm skeptical, but I highly support you being the guinea pig for all of us!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:24:59 pm »
I'm skeptical, but I highly support you being the guinea pig for all of us!  :)

Ha! I am skeptical, too. IF I do try, I think I'll do a split batch and try some in the boil and some after high-krausen.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:18:29 pm »
I made a cinnamon candi sugar from the instructions out of Radical Brewing (the cinnamon was my idea). tasted great! I think it came through in the beer, too. ;)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:29:45 pm »
Sounds cool, but I typically prefer to have better control over each of the individual ingredients in a recipe (i.e., I'd rather adjust the sugar and flavor components separately). But by all means, keep us posted if you try it out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:08:10 pm »
Sounds cool, but I typically prefer to have better control over each of the individual ingredients in a recipe (i.e., I'd rather adjust the sugar and flavor components separately). But by all means, keep us posted if you try it out.

I'm with ya...I'll let you know if/when I end up using this stuff!