Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's brewing today -- 8/7/2014  (Read 1752 times)

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
  • So many craft beers to try, so little time
    • For the Love of Brew
What's brewing today -- 8/7/2014
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:48 pm »
Beautiful night on Boston's North Shore to brew.  8) Doing a Belgian Wit this evening. Any advice out there?

Going with a single infusion, mash in at 164 (going for 150F rest temp fpr 1 hour). Grist: 48% American 2 row, 48% White Wheat, 2% flaked oats. Rice hulls in the grist.

1 oz Hallertau at 60 minutes. 1 oz of Saaz at 5 minutes. 1 oz of coriander at 5 minutes.

Lovely 1.2L starter with WLP400 warming up on the stir plate.

By the way, since it's National IPA Day, we'll also be tasting some of Mr. Koch's Rebel while we create.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:01:02 pm by CroceBrewing »
"You've never really had a beer until you've had your first homebrew."

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What's brewing today -- 8/7/2014
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »
Adding a step to my Märzen starter tonight; bottling 5+ gallons of Switchback Ale tomorrow; and brewing 5.5 gallons of Märzen on Saturday: a great beer week if I do say so. This will get me stocked up with 4 fermenting, or conditioning batches and the remainder of a fifth in bottles(down to about 8 bombers) I've run out of home brew twice since I started 14 months ago, and I did not like it either time. Can't let that happen again!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:03:52 pm »
Adding a step to my Märzen starter tonight; bottling 5+ gallons of Switchback Ale tomorrow; and brewing 5.5 gallons of Märzen on Saturday: a great beer week if I do say so. This will get me stocked up with 4 fermenting, or conditioning batches and the remainder of a fifth in bottles(down to about 8 bombers) I've run out of home brew twice since I started 14 months ago, and I did not like it either time. Can't let that happen again!

Looks like you're stocking up nicely! Just bottled a really hopped up IPA yesterday, and broke open some of the American stout last night that we bottled just over a week ago. Needs a little more conditioning time, but it's the best one we've brewed to date.

The two things that have really brought up the quality of our beer is using starters, and controlling temp in our fermentation chamber.  We've been at it since early March, and tonight is Batch No. 15.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:19:35 pm »
I bottled an imperial stout tonight. Gravity sample tasted pretty good, I must say.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:25:35 pm »
2L addition to my Marzen starter went well
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 05:07:07 am »
Not today, but tomorrow morning I'll be making two small batch lagers (rather than doing starters, I like to make a couple light ABV batches of a couple gallons or less each).  This is my way of rotating new strains into the mix (800 and 802, I believe.).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:04:07 am »
Our brew day for the wit ended pretty late last night, and it was taking my immersion chiller forever to cool things down. After an hour, wort was only down to 98 degrees. So, we decided to go the no chill route. I sealed the wort in the bucket, put it in the chamber at 66 degrees, and went to bed. Just pitched this morning into 69F wort.

Wish me luck. This is the first batch where we waited until the next morning to pitch yeast. Jeff: I took your suggestion, so I'm sure it'll be fine. I feel my sanitation was good, so shouldn't be any problems. Also, looks like the starter produced a lot more yeasties overnight.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:28:05 am »
Right now I have too many fermentors full of aging/souring beer and too much in bottles so I need to drink down some of my supply before I should brew again.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:49:52 am »
Kegged a Burton Ale last night. It was brewed in February. Gonna let it set til November. I think I may pick some of my hops this weekend. The Brewer's Gold is looking quite nice.
Kyle M.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 10:20:12 am »
hopefully brewing my rye session stout this weekend. If my ingredients show up in time. Will have to move 10 gallons of marzen to kegs to make room. unfortunately I only have one empty keg so I might have to empty a keg of strong beer into bottles first. we will see.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 06:10:28 am »
Mort - I feel your pain.  I had to rouse the crew last night to kill off a light lager so I can rack some beers to kegs.  So they went even further and knocked off a keg of dark wheat...You know you are into this brewing thing when packaging becomes the limiter on your brewing!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:02 am »
Kegging a wild saison with a stepped up starter of Brett Trois and Bruery's Sour in the Rye dregs.  Saison got hit with a touch of Nelson and Amarillo hops.  Should be pretty tasty in a few mos.  Looking for just a hint of brett funk and light sourness. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:05 am »
Fruited my roesalare sours last night. Today I'm brewing up a pale. My LHBS talked me into trying Wy1332 northwest ale. I put it on the stirplate last night and this morning it was crawling out of the flask. It must be a bit of a beast.