Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water  (Read 4594 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Water
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:45:25 pm »
I recently visited Keith at Yellowhammer and I knew he was busy but I did have one brewing question ready in case I got a chance to ask. The question was: what do you do to condition your water?   He took the time to school me on his thought process. I live within 15 miles of the brewery so I figured what's good for Yellowhammer is good for Big Deck BBQ and Brew. LOL

I feel like that's my next step so I ask the same question here: what do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:21:03 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 12:52:25 pm »
100% RO. I buy it at the grocery store or a local ice house. I use the paid version of bru'n water to add salts back.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 12:56:12 pm »
I use my well water.  It's fairly, but not completely, neutral.  For extremely light colored beer, I'll either use all distilled or cut my water with distilled.  Otherwise, I just adjust with CaSO4, CaCl2, NaCl, pickling lime, etc.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:56:23 pm »
100% RO. I buy it at the grocery store or a local ice house. I use the paid version of bru'n water to add salts back.

+1
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 01:42:40 pm »

+1

+2 
Except that I have an under-the-sink RO system, so I buy filters not water.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 02:12:30 pm »
I use my tap and add lactic acid to adjust pH as per the bru'n water suggestions, calcium and gypsum as well depending on styles
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:31:19 pm »
I have very soft water.  For the vast majority of brews, I just add a half teaspoon of calcium chloride per five gallons to the mash and call it good.  If its a hoppy ale, I used gypsum instead (same ratio).

For pilsners, I will add 3 oz. of acid malt per 5 gallons. And that is about it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 08:02:09 pm »

+1

+2 
Except that I have an under-the-sink RO system, so I buy filters not water.

+4
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:00 pm »
I am lucky enough to have a well with a very low mineral content. I input my well profile into Brewer's Friend and Brunwater, then adjust to fit the profile I'm looking for.

I use gypsum in my hoppy beers. I use a combo of gypsum, CaCl and kosher salt in my malty or balanced beers. Then I adjust my mash pH to my target using lactic acid or baking soda if needed.

I used to play around with my water a lot more to match a specific profile, but now I just K.I.S.S. 90% of the time. Just like in cooking, if you taste the salt(s) then you used too much. In the right amounts they just amplify certain flavors.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:47:47 pm »
I use my tap and add lactic acid to adjust pH as per the bru'n water suggestions, calcium and gypsum as well depending on styles

+1

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:51 am »
Well that has been Ward Lab tested
Adjust pH with lactic
Calcium with SO4 and CaCl

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17:24 am »
I carbon filter my tap water and brew away.
Sometimes I toss a bit of gypsum into the boil kettle.
If I understood water chemistry better I might do more.
I don't want to be the guy who posts, " I got my water tested, what do I do now?"
Dan S. from NJ

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:58 am »
Tap water - Ward Labs tested; pretty soft already - run through an under-sink carbon filter, campden tablet, then Bru'n Water (Paid copy) for salt adjustments. Salts on-hand: Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Epsom, Chalk, Kosher Salt. 10% Phosphoric acid to adjust sparge water to pH 5.8 (room-temp). The salts that the spreadsheet recommend for the sparge just go in the boil.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:55 am »
I have high bicarbonate levels in my tap water.  So, I carbon filter my tap water (for chlorine)  into gallon jugs that I have in my brewroom for brew day.  I also have 6x3gallon jugs I fill with RO water from Walmart or other stores nearby.  I will use a combination of my filtered tap water and RO water in conjunction with Gypsum and CaCl depending on what I am going to brew - using B'run Water.
To be honest, most of the beers I brew are probably 80-100% RO water - all my light lagers, my APA's, IPA's, Wheats, Bitters,etc.
My Ambers, Scottish, Milds, are generally 60-80% RO. 
My Browns, Porters, Stouts are 30-50% RO.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 01:19:12 pm »
Whole house GAC filter
Gypsum and CaCl2
Lactic acid for pH adjustment
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified