Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Marinated Chicken  (Read 1947 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Beer Marinated Chicken
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:12 pm »
I have a pretty good black bean taco recipe and I'd like to add pulled or chopped chicken to it. Anyone have a good method or technique for beer marinated chicken? What type of beer and cooking method (prefer to bake).

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beer Marinated Chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:09:45 pm »
I like grilled. Slow cooker is always good for pulled if you have the time.

Avoid hoppy beers for anything that is cooked. The bitterness can get too harsh. Pilsners and most lagers are good choices.

This blog is great for cooking with beer - http://thebeeroness.com/

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »
I recently grilled a few beer can or "drunk" chickens with dales little yella pils.  They were out of this world.  I guess if you wanted to use your own beer you could get any canned beer and save the can.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:48 pm »
I like witbier and other similar citrus spiced beers. The citrus/pepper flavors are common in chicken marinades already. For a quick marinade I'll use about 50/50 beer and 'italian' marinade (either bottles dressing or a mix of olive oil, red wine vinegar, onions, garlic, Italian spices). Or use any dressing that suits you.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 03:34:27 pm »
And I'll repeat ... Stay away from bitter beers.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »
I take it that by "bake" you just mean its easier for you to use the oven. I would, for what you want to use them for, braise chicken thighs or legs in the oven. Not only are they the best tasting parts but are the cheapest. If you have a dutch oven that is best, just brown the chicken in a little oil, add liquid, heat, cover and cook at 300 ish, turning and checking every 1/2 hour until the meat is falling off the bone. Any malty beer would do but stout or porter would be great and a smoked porter very interesting, I would add a little acid ( tomatoes, lime juice, a tiny bit of cider vinegar, etc.) and just enough sweet to balance, maybe honey or maple syrup. If you don't have a dutch oven a deep roasting pan will do, it just needs to be small enough so you can cover the chicken halfway or more in liquid without wasting too much beer. When its done you can remove the chicken and reduce the liquid on the stovetop to a sauce, perhaps adding a bit of tomato paste. You can then adjust sour/sweet/spice. Smoked paprika wouldn't be too shabby. And homemade tortillas. I'm hungry!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.