Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Labels  (Read 3129 times)

Offline paloaf

• 1st Kit
Bottle Labels
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:27:02 pm »
My fiancee and I are getting married in September and are going to give away bottles of homebrew as a party favor.  We're going to be giving away two different styles of beer and each attendee will get to pick one bottle.  Does anyone have any recommendations for beer label services or software?  My fiancee is fairly artistic, but we'd like to find a service that's easy to use as we've been fairly busy and only getting busier as the wedding approaches.  Any recommendations (and why) would be appreciated.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Bottle Labels
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:52:32 pm »
Check out grog tags grogtags.com.

Full disclosure, the owners are members of my homebrew club
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:48:04 pm »
+1 to Grog Tags. Their stuff is great quality.

If you want to design everything yourself and just want a specific label stock, then Onlinelabels.com has a bazillion choices, and all are high-quality. I have used their clear 3/4" dot labels for bottlecaps quite a bit. But they also have waterproof labels, fabric, etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:44 am »
Did you try your LHBS? Mine has a label printer. Pick a design and they print it with your text and choice of font for 10ยข apiece. Easy peasy.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:13:23 am »
+1 to online labels. They will send you samples, I think up to four sheets.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:27 am »
I used Grogtag for this exact situation. I designed the label on Friday with my mom in Photoshop, sent it to them on Monday. Easy process. Based on my other orders with them, they'll probably be here by mid-next week.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:28:55 am »
The printing quality from GrogTags is excellent. I've printed my own on high quality laser cut label paper using various printers including a very expensive color laser printer and found the quality variable and at best "Very Good". Solid black areas are especially problematic.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:58:30 am »
Printer quality makes is huge. I'm fortunate enough to have a dozen or so higher quality printers at my disposal at work. If one is printing like garbage I can try another down the hall.

Offline bradley.wood.777

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:46:06 am »
I've had success just printing on standard lazier printer paper, cutting to size with a guillotine and then sticking on with full fat milk. Just get a saucer of milk, wet the side to stick in the milk and stick it on!! 

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:07 am »
lots of good advice here - if you decide because time is of the essence to go an easier route, i use little adhesive mailing labels around the necks.  they're nice because you can get printing templates online for word files.  30 per sheet is the size i use. 

http://www.staples.com/Avery-5260-White-Laser-Address-Labels-with-Easy-Peel-1-inch-x/product_209999?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:209999&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=209999&KPID=209999

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 06:50:43 am »
lots of good advice here - if you decide because time is of the essence to go an easier route, i use little adhesive mailing labels around the necks.  they're nice because you can get printing templates online for word files.  30 per sheet is the size i use. 
I've also used the 3*4 inch shipping labels. They are a perfect size for beer bottles. Laser is critical though as ink jet ink will run when wet or even damp.

I've had success just printing on standard lazier printer paper, cutting to size with a guillotine and then sticking on with full fat milk. Just get a saucer of milk, wet the side to stick in the milk and stick it on!!
I think the guillotine might be overkill.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline bradley.wood.777

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 06:52:58 am »
By guillotine I mean one of these.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:54:46 am »
By guillotine I mean one of these.
Yes, I was attempting humor.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline bradley.wood.777

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 06:55:35 am »
You kill me dude. :)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:05 am »

I've also used the 3*4 inch shipping labels. They are a perfect size for beer bottles. Laser is critical though as ink jet ink will run when wet or even damp.
Avery has a new type of label stock that is designed to let you put a new mailing label over an old one without any of the lower layer showing through. This is nice and thick and makes a really nice bottle label.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer