Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on a Wheat IPA  (Read 1286 times)

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
Thoughts on a Wheat IPA
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:40 pm »
I'm thinking of a wheat IPA for some easy summer drinking...Has anybody made one and any advice on the grain bill and best yeast for this style?  I was thinking 50/50 wheat and pale malt, some munich and crystal.
Would wy1272 be a good choice or wy1010?  Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Thoughts on a Wheat IPA
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:21:50 pm »
I'll spare you my thoughts on wheat IPA and talk about the yeast...my experience with 1010 is that is had a kind of tart quality to it that I didn't care for.  1272 is a cleaner, more "mellow" yeast IMO.  I'd like ot hear other people's thoughts on 1010.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »
I use 1010 for fruit wheat beers and nothing else. I think the tart thing works pretty well with fruit, but I can't think of another beer I'd use it in. Not Belgian-y enough for saison, no use in a sour obviously. A one trick pony for me - definitely wouldn't want that in a wheat-y IPA.
Jon H.

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 03:36:56 pm »
I got extra wheat malt and alot of homegrown hops on hand I need to use up...A Wheat IPA sounded good...Will be an experiment, that's what homebrewing is all about!  Thanks for your thoughts.