Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: rye malt vs flaked rye  (Read 7437 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
rye malt vs flaked rye
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:53:29 am »
I brewed a 'summer rye' beer recently with 10% rye malt. What kind of differences should I expect if I was to use flaked rye instead? I am not sure how well my mill crushed the rye malt so I thought flaked rye may be a better option next time.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: rye malt vs flaked rye
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:29:12 am »
I find flaked rye to have a mellower, less prominent flavor.  Have you tried running the rye malt though the mill twice?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:54 pm »
I find flaked rye to have a mellower, less prominent flavor.  Have you tried running the rye malt though the mill twice?

I had all the grain together in one bag and just milled it at once. I honestly didn't inspect the rye after it was milled. My efficiency was lower than usual and I thought that maybe it was a milling issue with the rye.

I think the flaked rye may be the way to go for this one but I need to develop the recipe regardless. It's a mongrel of a beer but tasting pretty good right now. I will probably just try flaked next time and see what I get. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:07:19 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:23:05 pm »

I had all the grain together in one bag and just milled it at once. I honestly didn't inspect the rye after it was milled. My efficiency was lower than usual and I thought that maybe it was a milling issue with the rye.

I think the flaked rye may be the way to go for this one but I need to develop the recipe regardless. It's a mongrel of a beer but tasting pretty good right now. I will probably just try flaked next time and see what I get. Thanks!

You'll never know til you try it!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:07:22 pm »
I know that Denny wil cringe at this, but I made a rye ale from the Craft Beers for Homebrewers book (great book by the way!) using both flaked and rye malt per the recipe...I used a full bag of rice hulls and was glad I did.  The mash didn't' stick, so much as the fine gummy flaked rye held back some wort on top of the grain bed when it drained - I got a couple cups more of wort by slicing the top of the grain bed with a few slits and sucking hard to restart the siphon.  Worked like a champ, but anticipate this as you run that second/batch sparge through.  It fermented like crazy with ice bottles rotated in to cool.  The beer literally finished in about five days at 62-64, but I'm going to wait it out before racking.  Probably one of the best smelling ales I have ever brewed and I can't wait to taste it!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 05:10:05 pm »
Makes me want to brew with some rye - been a while. Love that spiciness. I see a rye IPA coming up !
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:40:25 am »
I just made two rye beers, a rhubarb rye I
Saison and Denny's rye ipa. I followed Denny's recipe exactly and its awesome. I followed Denny's advice I saw somewhere about using at least 15% rye malt when formulating mye saison recipe and it seemed spot on when I sampled the hydrometer while bottling a week ago. I crushed the rye malt desperately, running through twice. I think I may have even tweaked the settings on the mill.
Edit: I crushed the rye malt separately, not desperately. Sorry for being so dramatic.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:59:10 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 07:09:55 am »
The malted rye is definitely more prominent rye flavor to it. I can use almost 10% flaked rye and barely taste the rye.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 09:09:43 am »
The malted rye is definitely more prominent rye flavor to it. I can use almost 10% flaked rye and barely taste the rye.

and the malted rye doesn't make your beer taste plasticy at high percentages like the flaked does.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 09:41:01 am »
Anybody else find the Weyermann Rye Malt to be really mellow? I used it at high percentages (around 25%), and just didn't get the rye flavor I wanted. I like rye malt more overall, but also like to mix some flaked rye in as well.
Kyle M.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 10:33:08 am »
Anybody else find the Weyermann Rye Malt to be really mellow? I used it at high percentages (around 25%), and just didn't get the rye flavor I wanted. I like rye malt more overall, but also like to mix some flaked rye in as well.

Yep.  That's why I prefer Briess rye malt.  That's about the only Briess malt I do care for.

www.dennybrew.com