Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison stalled (again)  (Read 3529 times)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Saison stalled (again)
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:27:11 pm »
I've had a belgian ale in primary for 3 weeks today.  I pitched a 1500 ml starter of 3787 on brew day. It was kicking away within 10 hours and fermented for several days then slowed way down.  OG was 1.057.  A week later it was 1.034 and it completely quit doing anything for 2-3 days.  I sloshed it around and it took off again.  Airlock activity slowed significantly after a week and a half. I checked the gravity today and it is only down to 1.025.  I sloshed more gently today and it had returned to a more active a state now.  I have 2 questions.  1) should I gently agitate the bucket daily to keep it active?
2) my original plan was to use the yeast cake from this for a pumpkin saison.  Is this a sign of stressed yeast and should I get some fresh yeast for the pumpkin beer?  I know 3787 is prone to stalling.  Just want to make sure this particular yeast is up to the task since it has stalled twice.

EDIT:  I used 3724 not 3787.  I'm currently drinking a "white IPA" brewed with 3787 which may have contributed to the typo.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:21:40 pm by cempt1 »

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Saison stalled (again)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:28:27 pm »
At what temp are you fermenting? Get it warmer if it's not at least in the 80's at this point and let it chug away:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 06:34:04 pm »
I've had it in a tub of water with an aquarium heater.  The water is 85 degrees.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:09:58 pm »
I would keep rousing and even raise the temp some if you can and let it finish

BTW, what temp did you mash at?

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 07:16:53 pm »
I would keep rousing and even raise the temp some if you can and let it finish

BTW, what temp did you mash at?
Aquarium heater is maxed out (cheap one).  I mashed at 152 degrees.  Recipe was from Craft Beer & Brewing magazine.  Just realized I posted the wrong yeast number.  It was 3724.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:27:23 pm »
Just let it go. It will get there someday.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »
Never had a problem hitting 80-90% aa with this strain. Start off at 64 and let chug along for a few days and ramp up to high 60s/low 70s. 85 may be too warm for this strain.

Edit: just saw your edit. I agree with others. Give it more time.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:25:54 pm by majorvices »

Offline gurney09

• 1st Kit
  • Salina Brewers Guild
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 10:25:43 pm »
I read a lot of articles in brew magazines/books before brewing mine. From what I gathered is blending yeasts may be the key to those stubborn yeast strains. I started with 3711 French Saison and then pitched rehydrated Belle Saison about 6-8 hours of the 3711 taking off. The blend works well together and prevents one from getting stuck. I read that the Belle works good to "clean up" after the primary pitched yeast.  I wrapped the carboy and let the temp take off to about 80F and it stayed there for a couple of days. I wish I had a temp controlled wrap at the time because I would have cranked it up to nearly 90F. The strains take on different characteristics at that temp. I started with OG 1.058 and it fermented down to 1.000 Tasted damn good! It actually just took silver this weekend in the Hail the Ale homebrew comp. I did a 10 gallon split batch and the only variance was the yeast. I did just the 3711 on the other and it didn't win a medal. I have to say that my blended yeast version was a much more well rounded saison.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:45:17 am »
3724 is really finicky if not treated right. As per Wyeast, pitch it in the 80's and let it rise into the 90's to prevent it from stalling.

Before I'd followed this advice I had the same problem and it took almost 5 weeks to finish but it did at 1.006

Give it time and it will slowly get there:)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 06:43:11 am »
So patience is a virtue, especially with 3724!  That said, do you think it is fine to reuse the yeast cake? Sounds like it is really behaving quite normally.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 06:53:07 am »
So patience is a virtue, especially with 3724!  That said, do you think it is fine to reuse the yeast cake? Sounds like it is really behaving quite normally.
As long as your sanitation is solid. I did not reuse the two times I have used this yeast, but I hear it performs better with generation.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 06:54:07 am »
3724 is really finicky if not treated right. As per Wyeast, pitch it in the 80's and let it rise into the 90's to prevent it from stalling.

Before I'd followed this advice I had the same problem and it took almost 5 weeks to finish but it did at 1.006

Give it time and it will slowly get there:)

+1.  I hit 1.002 with it last time in ~ 10 days following Wyeast's guidelines.  Before knowing that it was 3 weeks-ish to hit 1.006. I hear it does better on repitch as well.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 06:58:54 am »
You said the heater is maxed out. What temperature is it at currently?

Gently rousing the yeast every few days and giving it time are your best options if you can't get that beer warmer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 10:08:11 am »
You said the heater is maxed out. What temperature is it at currently?

Gently rousing the yeast every few days and giving it time are your best options if you can't get that beer warmer.
Its been at 85 degrees for 1 1/2 weeks.  It was probably at 77 prior.  I know that yeast likes 90.  I was hoping that 85 was close enough.