Author Topic: Unfiltered beer  (Read 908 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Unfiltered beer
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
S04 will drop like a rock but it never seemed to dry out as much as I liked for American styles.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
S04 will drop like a rock but it never seemed to dry out as much as I liked for American styles.

+1
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »
Carbing in the bottles will then take longer, presumably?

perhaps slightly, but since it is fresh healthy yeast, if you keep the bottles in a 75-80f space they should carb up plenty fast.
Hmmm, perhaps. It might take a little bit longer. I've got a dampfbier carbonating now that I cold crashed for 5 days, bottled it, and it's been 2 weeks. It's still bit light on carbonation. I trust that it will carbonate, but it just might take 4 weeks to get there. It's damn clear though, and I like that. And there's just a dusting on the bottom of the bottle (like Sierra Nevada) and I also really like that.
I would add yeast to my bottling "bucket" (keg), but I don't want to waste most of a pack.  The extra time waiting for it to carb is good for the beer anyway. I'm usually drinking all my beer (on tap) waaaaay too early and young.
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »
I've got a dampfbier carbonating now........

Hey, I'll be curious to hear how that dampfbier comes out for you. It's a style I've wanted to brew for a while and I always end up brewing something else. And I assume it was mostly Pils with some Munich ?

Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »
I've got a dampfbier carbonating now........

Hey, I'll be curious to hear how that dampfbier comes out for you. It's a style I've wanted to brew for a while and I always end up brewing something else. And I assume it was mostly Pils with some Munich ?

Yeah, that's basically it. Kind of Oktoberfest-y with that phenolic hefe yeast character. Nice an clear and gold, bordering on amber. Instead of Munich malt I used Red X malt. I think it was 65% Weyermann floor malted pils and 35% Red X. It's a nice beer. Still needs time to carbonate, but I've been drinking about one a week to check it out. Another couple weeks it ought to be good to go.
Go big AND go home.

Jesse