Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Froze my beer.  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Froze my beer.
« on: August 02, 2014, 06:44:01 pm »
My kegerator froze my beer the other day. Can beer survived just fine. Bottle beer were foaming thu the cap and needed to consumed soon. Beer in keg also froze and now I have ice oatmeal stout.

One of the thing is that favors are still more concentrated and head retention is incredible. It is like on nitro.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline brewday

• Brewer
Re: Froze my beer.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 11:13:51 pm »
Ugh. Sticke Schwartzeneisbock?

Just so happens my fermentation chamber (upright freezer w/Ranco controller, all fairly new) stopped cooling today. Luckily nothing fermenting right now, but I have an Alt (WY2565) planned for tomorrow - kinda important that I have temp control ...

Anyway, I unplugged for a few hours, plugged in again and after several minutes it kicked back on.

Controller was working the whole time and the freezer light kicked on anytime the freezer should have, just no motor/compressor/cooling.

Should I brew the Altbier tomorrow? I was planning on primary around 60 and several weeks of conditioning, but now my confidence is a little shaky. Chalk it up as random or play it safe?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Froze my beer.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 05:21:23 am »
If it's new, maybe you are under warranty?  I would make the beer, but if the cooler fails, I'd get all over that warranty.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"