Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 GABF  (Read 7329 times)

Offline redharry

• 1st Kit
Re: 2014 GABF
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 03:21:27 am »
I live in the UK and joined AHA partly (I also support the aims of AHA and enjoy reading your mag) to give me a better chance of getting a ticket for the beer fest when I come over to Colorado for a 2 week holiday - I was lucky and got the 2 tickets required for the Thursday night.  From an outsider looking in I am amazed at the ticketing issue.  Firstly amazed at the huge demand and immediate sell out, secondly by the blatant immediate resale of tickets at a huge profit.  It is clear that for many this is purely a money making exercise and I am surprised that it is allowed in such a blatant way.
In the UK resale of tickets at a profit is common but for certain events like the London Olympics as well as soccer and other sporting events is illegal.  The Olympics in particular was very strictly and successfully controlled with ID checks and any abuse resulted in ticket cancellation.  I am not sure how draconian you want measures to be but clearly this issue is causing friction.
Perhaps the issue needs to be looked at in a different way.  Is the venue big enough ?  Should there be more sessions over more days, should the sessions be all day with people able to pay on the door as other people leave after an afternoon visit.  I know its difficult with the reliance on volunteers etc but it does seem to need looking at.
With the Great British Beer Fest in London we open from Tues to Sat - open all day 12 - 10.30.  Tickets are available online from a couple of months ahead but are always available on the door as well provided you don't mind a good old fashioned British queue !  It never sells out ahead of the start.  If you buy online and are a CAMRA member (somewhat similar to AHA) you get a price discount.  Most people either go for a lunchtime and afternoon session or an evening session so you get quite a turnaround of people.  I think total attendance over the 5 days is about 60,000.  An army of volunteers organise and run the event.
I don't know what the answer is but I must admit I do hate the immediate resale and blatant profiteering that goes on - I suppose one answer is to refuse to buy tickets from these people and leave them with unsold tickets.
Anyway I am really looking forward to the event and sampling some of your great beers.  I regularly visit the USA and always research local breweries before the trip.  First of all though I need to get through the British Beer Fest in a couple of weeks !!!  Cheers. ;D 

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 05:44:13 am »
I have no interest in going to GABF so whoever is the last one to get a ticket, you're welcome

Same here...

Coming soon...2 GABF's (West & East)? 

The problem with turning around and selling the tickets at a huge markup is that you always get suckers who will pay that price.  Do you think ID checks at the door would work or would it take hours to get everyone in?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 05:46:25 am »
I have no interest in going to GABF so whoever is the last one to get a ticket, you're welcome

+1.  Plenty of drunken festivals closer to home, if I were inclined.
Jon H.

Offline maltosemember

• 1st Kit
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 07:45:05 am »
Re other festivals, while the craft and micro beer environment in Los Angeles is improving, it is still a disaster.

There are very, very few beer events in Los Angeles...and nothing that compares in any fashion to the scope or opportunity of the GABF.  (For that matter, there are TWO craft breweries in the entire San Fernando Valley.  If this were Denver or Portland, there would be 30). For many beer enthusiasts, GABF is THE festival for Angelenos. 

I would be happy to wait in line for an extra period to match my ID to the name on my ticket.   This is especially true for the members only Saturday session....maybe the AHA could try an ID match for at least that session.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:46:59 am by maltosemember »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:14 am »
I am flying from Los Angeles.  $300 airfare...another $300 in hotel expense...while I have tix for Saturday, it is so outrageous that more than 1,000 tickets are onsale---at twice face value---on StubHub less than 12 hours after the members pre-sale.

Before I could even finish my transaction on ticketmaster I looked at stubhub and there were already tickets for sale at $300. I think that was like fifteen minutes into the sale.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JSCoupal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2014, 11:41:23 am »
I've attended GABF twice before, and each time, I've noticed that the price of tickets on the secondary market goes way down as the event nears--last year, a friend managed to pick up Friday tickets for LESS than face value earlier the same week.  I know that a lot of people are upset that tickets sold out so quickly, but, for now, they should simply chill and wait for the scalpers to lower their prices.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2014, 02:03:28 pm »
I've attended GABF twice before, and each time, I've noticed that the price of tickets on the secondary market goes way down as the event nears--last year, a friend managed to pick up Friday tickets for LESS than face value earlier the same week.  I know that a lot of people are upset that tickets sold out so quickly, but, for now, they should simply chill and wait for the scalpers to lower their prices.

Good point...the supply on Stubhub definitely jumped shortly after 12 noon EDT today.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------