Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing your own  (Read 10381 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Growing your own
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2014, 08:52:37 am »
I planted in the fall and harvested in the spring so I imagine it's a different thing. I also suspect that rain and sub will play a major roll in how tall the grass gets. As long as it's working wouldn't worry about it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2014, 03:45:09 pm »
I planted in the fall and harvested in the spring so I imagine it's a different thing. I also suspect that rain and sub will play a major roll in how tall the grass gets. As long as it's working wouldn't worry about it.
Yea, it otherwise looks healthy. I suppose what really matters as far as size goes is the final size of the barley kernels. Also I figure shorter barley= less lodging.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 10:17:29 am »
The shorter the plant, equals less lodging seems intuitive.  However, my experience has been that if a mature plant gets too much water, it is more likely to lodge.  Watch your irrigation at this point.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 08:21:52 pm »
The shorter the plant, equals less lodging seems intuitive.  However, my experience has been that if a mature plant gets too much water, it is more likely to lodge.  Watch your irrigation at this point.
I haven't provided any irrigation since it got established. We did get a lot of rain a few days ago. Its looking good though, the kernels are getting plump.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2014, 12:29:04 pm »
I harvested my 2row yesterday, the 6 row has another week or so. I tied the cut plants into bundles and stood up against each other to dry in the sunny dry few days that are predicted. The yield isn't what i hoped for due to weeds and a bit too much shade but I still have plenty to experiment with. ASAP I will till the plot, add compost, plant clover for fall bee forage and green manure then in late fall till that in and plant winter rye as ground cover. In early spring I'll plant another cover crop then till lightly, thoroughly remove any remaining weeds and plant a new crop, assuming this years threshing/malting/kilning proves all this feasible. Also this fall I plan on preparing another area for rye, wheat, etc. I'm also cutting down a lot of trees to allow for more sunlight and air flow.