Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: About to destroy my immersion chiller...  (Read 5727 times)

Offline qm3k

• Cellarman
About to destroy my immersion chiller...
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »
Hi all,

I am constantly in awe of those who claim that they can get 5 gallons of wort from boiling to pitch temp in 15 minutes with an immersion chiller. I am using one right now (25 ft., copper, fitted with a whirlpool arm) rigged up to two pumps (one to recirculate the wort, one pumping chill water through the coil. It started as ice water and has risen to about 65 degrees). Wort is stuck at 74 degrees. It has been nearly an hour. Not sure what I can do about this now...what's the magic trick to keep this part of the process more time-efficient?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: About to destroy my immersion chiller...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »
More ice. I just put it in the fridge until it is ready to pitch
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline qm3k

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:02 pm »
I suppose I can toss it in the fridge. Shouldn't take more than an hour to get to 68, I suppose.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:46:38 pm »
Don't pitch until the beer is at pitching temp. It will be fine in the fridge without year for a few hours. For me it is often 12 or more before I pitch
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:48:18 pm »
I use a 50 ft., 3/8 in. immersion chiller, a pump to recirculate the wort (not the water) and 55F well water.  I can go from boiling to 60F in about 15 min.  So it's situation dependent.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 01:51:01 pm »
I have a 60 foot 1/2" RIC that I run my well water through. ~45º winter, ~55º summer. I can get down to about 10º above my chill water temp in about 15-20 min. It stalls there and ive never had tge patients to see how long it would take for the wort to match the coolant temp. This is exactly what you are experiencing,  so toss in another block of ice.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:51:26 pm »
You're wasting the ice, if you are using the ice in the initial part of the chilling.

Just use tap water to take the majority of the heat out of the kettle with the chiller. Switch to the chilled water recirculation when the wort gets down to about 20 or 30 degrees of your tap water temperature.

This way, the tap water can carry away most of the heat and you save the chilled water to take it down that extra bit that the tap water can't.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »
You're wasting the ice, if you are using the ice in the initial part of the chilling.

Just use tap water to take the majority of the heat out of the kettle with the chiller. Switch to the chilled water recirculation when the wort gets down to about 20 or 30 degrees of your tap water temperature.

This way, the tap water can carry away most of the heat and you save the chilled water to take it down that extra bit that the tap water can't.

+1

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »
I would start with room temp water and get the wort down to around 100F, then switch to ice water to bring it down the rest of the way. Save the really cold water for the end when the temp difference will do the most good.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:31 pm »

+1

*2  Exactly what I was going to suggest.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »
Rock salt in the ice water might help. I have used it a couple of times, and science tells me it works, but I haven't paid much attention.

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »
Rock salt in the ice water might help. I have used it a couple of times, and science tells me it works, but I haven't paid much attention.

It may buy you a bit but it would make your chiller water unable to be used in your landscape.  Plants don't like too much salt.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 03:14:30 pm »
My tap water temp changes with the season, so in the summer I can't get below 90F without help.

I used to do a ice water recirc loop, but I would ALWAYS forget to buy it before brewday. $5/batch isn't insignificant, and setting up the loop is just another PITA step in the process. So I quit doing it altogether.

Now I just get as much cooling as I can w/ tap water while I clean (100F or lower), and cool the rest of the way in my ferm. fridge. I oxygenate/pitch before bed or the next morning, giving plenty of time to make sure the temp is stable.

I carry over more trub since I don't get a good cold break, so if clarity is important I'll rack into another fermentor before pitching. Definitely worth doing anyway if you want to speed up clarification or harvest slurry.

In summary: RDWHAHB
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »
Now I just get as much cooling as I can w/ tap water while I clean (100F or lower), and cool the rest of the way in my ferm. fridge. I oxygenate/pitch before bed or the next morning, giving plenty of time to make sure the temp is stable.

I do the same to about 80F or lower. Kyle's right, RDWHAHB.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:22 pm »
A year or two ago I set up my system to chill the wort with a counter flow chiller and a whirlpool fitting into the kettle.  I tried to get the whole 10 gallon mass down to pitching temps, first with well water, then when I got down to about 100F with ice water.  This took forever and went through a lot of ice.   I was trying to leave all the cold break in the kettle.
Lately I recirculate through the chiller with well water and the whirlpool attachment down to 100F and then pump the wort through the ice water counter flow directly into the fermenters.  I gave up on leaving the cold break in the kettle.  I can regulate the flow to target temps for ales or lagers this way.
It still takes 40 to 60 minutes, but I'm in Florida.  My well water is 72F.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995