Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Autolysis help  (Read 2712 times)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Autolysis help
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »
I have a beer in the keg that has a rubber smell which I assume is autolysis. If I were to transfer to another keg would the beer taste clean up?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Autolysis help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:13:54 pm »
Assuming it IS autolysis, I don't think xferring will make any difference.  But autolysis is more often described as a meaty, brothy flavor/aroma than rubbery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:16:29 pm »
Could you be thinking medicinal or band aid like, plastic?

Auto lysis is usually not an issue on the homebrew scale, more large batch/commercial.

Phenolics or chlorophenols could be the issue
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:37:48 pm »
I don't think it's medicinal, it really smells like the bottom of a tennis shoe. I used a new batch of 001 yeast, and am pretty careful about sanitation.
I don't think phenolics, not spicy or smokey.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:49:24 pm by speed »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:06:57 pm »
I don't think it's medicinal, it really smells like the bottom of a tennis shoe. I used a new batch of 001 yeast, and am pretty careful about sanitation.
I don't think phenolics, not spicy or smokey.

Well, maybe it is, but it just seems unlikely given the freshness of the yeast.  And the fact that I can't even recall the last time I tasted it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:11:15 pm »
I have recently been using beersmith and playing with mineral additions, maybe I am doing something wrong.
One other thing I forgot to mention is the beer isn't wanting to clear, normally I never have problems with that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:26:05 pm by speed »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:36:09 pm »
I have recently been using beersmith and playing with mineral additions, maybe I am doing something wrong.
One other thing I forgot to mention is the beer isn't wanting to clear, normally I never have problems with that.

If you're gonna play with water, use Bru'nwater.  I've gotten better results with it than anything else.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 02:50:28 pm »
Also, when playing with water be sure to have your water analysis first so you know the base profile, if not you're simply guessing and that doesn't always work so well;(
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 02:58:55 pm »
Denny you're right I used brunwater and yes i have my report from ward labs so I wasn't guessing. Maybe I didn't enter something right, I don't know.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 06:53:28 am »
If it is cloudy and rubbery then that sounds like the beer is infected.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 07:40:23 am »
That is an option I'm scared of. I've had infected beers before and I don't really think that's it but time will tell.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 09:32:03 am »
Denny you're right I used brunwater and yes i have my report from ward labs so I wasn't guessing. Maybe I didn't enter something right, I don't know.

If you want to email me your spreadsheet, I'll see if I can see anything off.  Better yet, see if Martin has time to take a look.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 05:05:24 pm »
The beer I am referring to is an amber with crystal hops throughout. I have had it on co2 for a couple days now and it is about 5 weeks old. Tonight it isn't quite as cloudy and the yeasty smell has subsided somewhat. I am not getting the rubbery smell that I did  so maybe the co2 had something to do with it. This is the first time using crystal hops so don't have any experience with them.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 09:12:00 am »
Wanted to get back to you on this, I think it is the yeast. I have another beer doing the same thing and after reviewing my notes a little closer I used a different yeast than I originally thought. It was 1272 and this was the 5th or 6th generation so it's possible the yeast turned against me. Anyway 2 kegs are getting dumped. Sucks to be me :-[

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 09:23:46 am »
Also, what temp are you fermenting at?