Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dead Yeast  (Read 1312 times)

Offline liveforliving

• 1st Kit
Dead Yeast
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »
I know it's a little early to worry about the yeast being dead since we made the batch yesterday, but I just learned of an issue while we made our batch. Apparently, the yeast was being rehydrated from 1 cup of water with a lot of Sanstar in it (the was from a pot that items were being kept sanitary in...). Killer sounding mistake...I know Sanstar doesn't kill yeast in the normal sense, but this sounds extreme. Any thoughts? If it's dead, can I put new yeast in the carboy?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Dead Yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 03:28:06 pm »
Star san will most certainly kill yeast. That's what it is designed for. If it is diluted enough it is completely harmless. So, the question is, how much star san was in solution?

If you assume the yeast is dead you should pitch more yeast immediately.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:12:10 pm »
Do you see any ferm activity?

Its definitely not too late to pitch additional yeast. Sooner is better though if you are planning on it.

Offline NorthTexasOfferings

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:00:10 pm »
By the time you read this post you've probably already determined whether your yeast was partially or completely killed off. I would have prepared a yeast starter as a standby and probably pitched it for some assurance that good activity would take place. Let us know how things turned out. Cheers!

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:46:09 pm »
This is why it is always a great idea to have a few extra Safale sachets of yeast handy.  I keep at least two Safale US-05 and two Safale S-04 handy just in case.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta