Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun false bottom  (Read 12156 times)

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
Re: Mash Tun false bottom
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 10:11:40 am »
Here we go boys...my first post.

Like the OP, I've been tossing around the idea of making a false bottom and found this idea.
http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-make-an-inexpensive-false-bottom-for-your-cooler-mash-tun

Seems simple enough. No need to worry about drilling all sorts of holes, and a pizza pan wont leave much dead space at the bottom either. Ultimately, a false bottom is just there to help filter out the majority of particulates when sparging. Why overcomplicate it? Anybody have any reason to not go this route?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:24:41 am »

Like the OP, I've been tossing around the idea of making a false bottom and found this idea.
http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-make-an-inexpensive-false-bottom-for-your-cooler-mash-tun

Seems simple enough. No need to worry about drilling all sorts of holes, and a pizza pan wont leave much dead space at the bottom either. Ultimately, a false bottom is just there to help filter out the majority of particulates when sparging. Why overcomplicate it? Anybody have any reason to not go this route?

Because using a braid is so much easier?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:17 am »

the holes may be too large, not enough of them and the metal might be too thin to support the weight of the grist but for $10 it's worth a try:) report back with your results.

As for the OP, if recommend the 10 gallon tun for larger grain bills and more flexibility with the water ratios being used.

Batch sparging is great, I average 80% efficiency and use a false bottom set below the plumbing with a dip tube. Dead space is about a cup of wort.

No offense to Denny's screen setup, I just never got good runnings no matter how I set it up in a round cooler or the materials used but YMMV:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 10:35:22 am »

the holes may be too large, not enough of them and the metal might be too thin to support the weight of the grist but for $10 it's worth a try:) report back with your results.

As for the OP, if recommend the 10 gallon tun for larger grain bills and more flexibility with the water ratios being used.

Batch sparging is great, I average 80% efficiency and use a false bottom set below the plumbing with a dip tube. Dead space is about a cup of wort.

No offense to Denny's screen setup, I just never got good runnings no matter how I set it up in a round cooler or the materials used but YMMV:)

What's your definition of "good runnings"?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 10:58:40 am »
No stuck sparge:) yes I know crush has a lot to do with that as well as water/grist and believe me I tried various screens and setups, just happier with the false bottom
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 11:18:04 am »

I think that's an arguable statement. Both are very simple designs and require a few fittings and maybe 5 minutes of assembly. I'm a bit nervous about the braid not laying flat on the bottom and then having left over wort in my MLT. Sure people have recommended putting a 90 fitting, but I'm curious if you have experienced this at all or if you have a remedy? I'm not really sold either way, and it sounds like I'm ages behind you, so I'm all ears my friend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 11:44:16 am »
No stuck sparge:) yes I know crush has a lot to do with that as well as water/grist and believe me I tried various screens and setups, just happier with the false bottom

Yeah, whatever works.  I've never had a stuck runoff.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:27 am »
I think that's an arguable statement. Both are very simple designs and require a few fittings and maybe 5 minutes of assembly. I'm a bit nervous about the braid not laying flat on the bottom and then having left over wort in my MLT. Sure people have recommended putting a 90 fitting, but I'm curious if you have experienced this at all or if you have a remedy? I'm not really sold either way, and it sounds like I'm ages behind you, so I'm all ears my friend.

The braid doesn't have to lay flat.  remember, it's porous...wort doesn't enter at one end and exit at the other.  All the draining is done at the cooler outlet, which will always be at the same height.  You can prove this by lifting the end of the braid as you drain water fron the cooler.  The flow rate does not change.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 11:48:00 am »

the deadspace with a braid set up is more a function of the cooler design than anything else. I have a coleman extreme and the drain is in a small indent that makes it sit below the bottom of the rest of  the cooler. this means my dead space is really only however much I'm too impatient to wait for. the braid doesn't have to lie flat on the bottom of the cooler because really, it's just providing a screen, the drain hole is what is draining the liquid and that's always on the bottom. My braid floats most of the time. It gets crushed flat and that doesn't seem to matter either. it came off once and that was a pain in the but but a false bottom can float, bend, slip, etc as well and you will still have to empty your mash, fix the problem and refill.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 01:40:18 pm »

I have both, the only time I would ever use the false bottom is if I had to fly sparge. I don't fly sparge so I don't use it anymore. I find the braid to perform as good and is easier to clean/handle/store, and it works in basically  every shape/size tun.  The grain bed itself is the primary filter.