Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie here - bottle storage?  (Read 2717 times)

Offline tnrambler

• 1st Kit
  • Chattanooga, TN
Newbie here - bottle storage?
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »
Hi,
After several years of watching and waiting, I jumped into brewing 1 gal batches right before Easter.  So far, I have 5 batches under my belt and I'm hooked and looking forward to ramping up to 5 gal batches soon.  Right now, I have about 70 bottles that I am storing in boxes from Sam Adams and Highland brewing (12 pack retail).  These are sturdy 12 pack boxes that I use not only for storage, but for holding my beer as it is bottle conditioning.  As I look move toward ramping up to 5 gal batches, are there any suggestions on the best way to store and/or bottle condition the 50+ bottles that I will need for a 5 gal batch?  Are there any Rubbermaid containers or anything else that you might recommend?  Thanks.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Newbie here - bottle storage?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 04:16:17 pm »
I have always just used the boxes the bottles came in until they wear out.

I started a project to make my own wooden boxes but haven't had the time to actually get very far. 

I have seen ads for plastic/waterproof boxes like these http://www.homebrewing.org/CW-Crate--12-Oz-Beer-Case-_p_2143.html  over the years but never bought those either. 

I never worried too much about the box, as long as I had something I could move them in.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:22:01 pm »
+1, I just use the boxes, cases, six pack holders, they came in originally. in terms of environment you want an area that stays in the mid to upper 70's or lower 80's for conditioning and then as cool as you can for storage. 50's is great for beer that you want to age (strong ales like barley wine, belgian quads, wee heavy, RIS, etc) and as cold as you can for fresh drinking beers like IPA, wheat beers, pilsners, etc.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »
oh, and welcome to the hobby and to the forum. this is a great place to get info on your new obess... err I mean hobby.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 04:27:47 pm »
I think the company that made those corrugated plastic boxes folded (no pun intended). I too have been considering the wooden crate option. Lack of tools has delayed that.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:32 pm »
I, too, just use regular beer case boxes. If my spidey-sense starts to tingle and I think I might have bottle bombs, I will stick the entire case in a trash bag to (hopefully) contain any liquid and glass until I arrive on the scene of the accident.
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »
+1 on use what you got.
+1 on wanting to make my own wooden boxes. On the project list.
Always keep an eye out for empties when out and about. You will find them when you start to look. Having a backup box or two will help when you put one down on a puddle you didn't know was there and find the bottom no longer will retain the bottles.  :(
Also welcome.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 07:10:45 pm »
Good call on the empties. Smaller liquor stores are good spots to find them. The larger mega stores, mainly total wine, won't give them out as they use them for carry out. Grocery stores tend to be too efficient and break them down as soon as they are empty. Chat up your local liquor guy, might help you score that hard to find six pack too.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 08:31:41 am »
I use record crates for my 22 oz'ers.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 08:58:05 am »
I use the boxes and when I need to replace them I head over to my bottle shop and snag a few, they're happy to recycle them to anyone that asks:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:33:20 am »
I use the boxes and when I need to replace them I head over to my bottle shop and snag a few, they're happy to recycle them to anyone that asks:)
Pretty much exactly what I do. When at the local liquor store(the largest in the country) we generally purchase enough product that it makes sense for the store employee to box rather than bag. I seem to have too many boxes or not enough bottles,  :o
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 12:51:31 pm »
+1 to everyones response, im sure everyone who has bottles has done one or many of these before.

When i was bottleing once all the bottles were filled and capped i would rub down the outside with a dry paper towel then store them back in the box they came out of for a few weeks. Then that box would go down to my basement and a 6 pack or so would come up into my fridge as needed.

I stopped bottling after 3 batches... youll see why haha.

oh, and welcome to the hobby and to the forum. this is a great place to get info on your new obess... err I mean hobby.

Wait since when has homebrewing not been an obsession for anyone?

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 03:24:23 am »
13" square milk crates work great and hold 25 beers!
Jimmykx250

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:05:46 am »
The twelve pack boxes are IMO the easiest way to store bottles. Easy to move, stackable and very durable. I have several old Sam Adam ones myself that are close to five years old. However, cases that hold four six packs will also start to become necessary and efficient as your bottle supply expands. Keep some six pack holders to use in those boxes. I still prefer the twelve pack boxes because they are easier to work with but I rarely buy twelve packs anymore.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing