Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chaning lines in a tri tap tower  (Read 2613 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Chaning lines in a tri tap tower
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:20:02 pm »
2 years ago I got this tower and love it.....it's been working great. http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/premium-draft-beer-kegerator-tower-stainless-triple-faucet/
Even though I use line cleaner between kegs, I am noticing that some of my lighter beers have an off taste for the first week or so then they get better. I really think I should change it so I bought some of the new Accuflex line which is supposed to be better. 

But, what's the best way to change these?  The inside looks like an interstate system and you have very little room to work.  I assume I'll have to just about take it completely apart.  Anyone have any experience with this and want to share?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Chaning lines in a tri tap tower
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
This is why I no longer use a tower - changing lines was a huge pain! Good luck!
Jesse

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:24:16 pm »
I don't have tower but I've done a lot of cable pulling.  It's kinda similar.  I would use the old lines to pull the new lines.  Use some something 9plastic pipe, wooden dowel, metal flange connectors or something) to mate the old and new lines.  Then gently pull the old lines out.  The new lines should follow.  Pull some extra line through and cut off the part you used to create the junction.

Others probably have other (better) ideas.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:42:31 pm »
I feel your pain........

I have tried various ways to do this but ultimately just take the whole dam thing apart. while its pretty easy to snake the tubing in and out its making the connections and crimping the bands that always proves to be impossible!

The amount of time you think you're saving in not taking it apart is then spent dislocating your fingers trying to get things hooked up!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »
I appreciate all the info and I did decide to take it all apart.....not that I know exactly what to do but it doesn't look hard but I need to run to the store to buy some patience first.

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »
Mind snapping a few pics once you've got it apart? I'm thinking I should probably change my lines in the near future as well.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »
It's really pretty easy, pop the cap off the top of the tower so you can see down the tube, unscrew the tap shanks with the special tool and gently slide /pull the shank out with the tube still connected.

Unclamp the old tube and feed the new tube through the hole and down, attach new clamp. Find the corresponding ends in the kegerator and attach the QDs accordingly
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 05:15:53 pm »
Many thanks, had to order a decent wrench for this online and it should be here soon.
I've got this!

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 01:37:45 pm »
Got the wrench, got the tri tap tower apart and hope to begin soon adding the Accuflex line.

I'm going to try 15 feet to see how that works then I can cut off if I have problems with the pressure.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 01:47:10 pm »
I never got the spanner wrench. I just use channel locks and a rag to keep from scratching. They don't need to be gorilla tight anyway

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »
I'm not lazy but fitting the Accuflex hose on the barb, even with a heat gun, was a royal pain in the arse.  I've got it all put back together so I just have to remove the old one and put the new one on and hope the 15 feet off bev hose is ok.
I need a beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 05:34:39 pm »
Yes. Can you say Popeye forearm?

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 08:25:16 am »
This, by far, was the hardest thing I've ever done in brewing. :) Fitting the pieces of a 3 tap tower back together, with so little room, big hands and little patience was painful.  But, a few hours later and it's all done.  The bev tube is on very good and tight which was good because I couldn't find any worm clamps or any clamps at all at the hardware store that would both fit the hose/barb AND still allow the 2 washers and nut to fit over it.  Grrrrrrrr. But, 3 kegs are in and I'm going to let them settle out for 24 hours and see how they work. 

I hope this was all worth it but I can say, the new Perlick 630 taps are sweet!

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »
Question 1: can I use any food safe rubber hose and where might I find this?

Question 2: I've heard that being in colorado it's necessary to have extra long hose. Could somebody explain why is is or link me?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 06:12:56 pm »

Question 1: can I use any food safe rubber hose and where might I find this?

Question 2: I've heard that being in colorado it's necessary to have extra long hose. Could somebody explain why is is or link me?

1 - you want beverage line. Comes in a few common sizes. 3/16, 1/4, 5/16. Most use 3/16 as far as I can tell. You can find it online at any of the normal Homebrew retailers, your LHBS, beverage factory, yada yada yada. The op bought some newer fancy line that is designed to be less prone to off flavors or infections.

2 - I have no idea if it's true, but I imagine it could be the case. Line that is too short can cause excessive foaming, too low of pressure outside could maybe do the same.