Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for the source of a "different" flavor problem  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: Looking for the source of a "different" flavor problem
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 08:57:33 am »
The only things that get cleaned and sanitized in my system are the plate chiller and the discharge tubing. Everything else is just cleaned of all debris and sprayed down. I never scrub or otherwise perform extensive cleaning and sanitization of my tun or kettle. Both have a nice tea-colored patina.

+1
I might be overkilling the cleaning :)
I usually soak all tubing, siphons, airlocks, bungs, or anything else in PBW for at least an hour and my better bottles get an overnight PBW soak. The one thing I really haven't cleaned, just rinsed is the transfer tube from my mash tun to the kettle. I do scrub my kettle after each use with a green scrubbing pad. I have to admit, I always felt like my siphon and other implements that get minimal exposure to wort/beer probably only needed a rinse. Maybe overkill?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 09:31:18 am »
Another question. I never PBW my cooler mash tun. I just rinse it out very well after each mash. Can you get a souring infection in the mash tun that makes it through the boil to the fermenter?

No.  I do nothing more than rinse out my cooler with cold water when I'm done.  Once every 3-5 years, I'll hit it with hot oxiclean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:45 am »
MoreBeer claims the heat of a boil does not sufficiently reach the valve to sanitize it and I believe them.

I don't believe them, based on direct experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell