Author Topic: Bruery Hottenroth  (Read 371 times)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Bruery Hottenroth
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:43:43 PM »
This is my first time trying a commercial straight-up Berliner Weisse and man, am I impressed. Hottenroth is certainly tart, but it is not in the realm of gueuze or La Folie. For such a small beer, it is remarkably complex. There is a big, bready graininess to it, and a nice lactic twang to balance it out. The Bruery always impresses me with their sours, and this is no exception.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
    • View Profile
Re: Bruery Hottenroth
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
I'm sad to say the bottle I had of it last year smelled and tasted very much like laundry gray water (smells and likely tastes).

Being less than 30 miles from Placentia, I would think that bottle of Hottenroth would not have been too old.  Who knows though.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...
MU5 Saison 6% * Republican Enclave Red Lager 5.5% * MU5 Hibiscus Saison 6% * Passionfruit & Pineapple Tart Wit 5% * Idunna II Summer Saison 7% * Monkey's Uncle Wit 5% *  empty * Shenanigan Irish Red 5.5% * Ziggurat Dark Sour 9%

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
Bruery Hottenroth
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »
This is my first time trying a commercial straight-up Berliner Weisse and man, am I impressed. For such a small beer, it is remarkably complex. There is a big, bready graininess to it, and a nice lactic twang to balance it out. The Bruery always impresses me with their sours, and this is no exception.
+1 to all of this. Saw this at bottle shop Friday and had to get it after reading Eric's review. My girlfriend and I both really enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up Eric
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting:
Conditioning: The Queen's Diamonds EBW, Saison (w Belle Saison) on raspberries, Saison with 3724&3711
In Bottles: House IPA,German Pils w 830, German Pils w 833
In the works: Oktoberfest, Ballantine clone, Evil Twin, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown

Offline brewinhard

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Bruery Hottenroth
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
I have had ups and downs with this one.  First time I tried it I thought it was very good and the second time as stated above I thought the beer was slightly off-putting, bland, and even very thin for a BW.  Oh well...you win some, you lose some!