Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Project Dank Recipe  (Read 7403 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Re: Project Dank Recipe
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 08:12:06 am »
I was reading the latest Zymurgy and was perusing the above recipe.

In the directions it states to whirlpool settle for 1 hour-covered?

I'm not questioning the hour but the covered part. Is there not a concern of DMS redeveloping over this time? Especially with 12.8lbs of Pils malt?

Glad to know that i wasnt the only one thinking that because i do hop stands/Whirlpooling on my Pilsners but not that long. I know i am sounding like a broken record but from what i know a 90 min boil is sufficient enough to break down the Amino acid SMM to DMS however, hot wort stands/whirlpooling at temps above 150F i think SMM is still converted to DMS and there is no boil to drive it off. I dont even think i would do a "stand" that long covered or not with pilsner malt.  Both Gordon Strong and Charley Bamforth have stated in there literature that long whirpooling and extended time before chilling can create DMS.  I do wonder if the style of beer with the dankness will aid in covering up the possible DMS in the finished beer? 

Offline Poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:41:53 am »
I have an IPA on tap that was 30% Pils. I boiled for 60 minutes and did a 30 minute hop stand before I chilled. I recirculated and did not fully cover. I had no lid for 10 minutes or so then I put the lid on Partially (I have an IC chiller). The beer is top notch!p
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 09:14:50 am »
Both Gordon Strong and Charley Bamforth have stated in there literature that long whirpooling and extended time before chilling can create DMS. 

That was the conventional wisdom I mentioned when I started hopstanding. It's either a theoretical 'fact' like HSA or else the DMS does form but below perceptible levels, because I (and several others here) have done a lot of whirlpool hopping/hop standing over the last couple years and found no DMS in my final beers. I don't like DMS (and by extension, Rolling Rock) so if this were happening in reality I'd have stopped hopping this way.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
This is where my understanding lies as well and while I also do hop stands, even some with grain bills containing pils I don't usually cover, nor approach anything close to an hour.

Any recipe over 50% pils gets an 90 minute boil and those with less typically 60 minutes.

Can't stand DMS either so for me anything that can account for that issue is eliminated from my process.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »
If hop stands led to significant amounts of DMS, then I would expect it to be an issue regardless of whether you covered your kettle. Since your wort isn't boiling, there's nothing going on that would really drive off the DMS even if you left your lid off.

I did a lid-on hop stand on my recent Bo Pils starting at 180F for an hour. Didn't notice any DMS at all in the finished beer, FWIW.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 02:14:43 pm »
Both Gordon Strong and Charley Bamforth have stated in there literature that long whirpooling and extended time before chilling can create DMS. 

That was the conventional wisdom I mentioned when I started hopstanding. It's either a theoretical 'fact' like HSA or else the DMS does form but below perceptible levels, because I (and several others here) have done a lot of whirlpool hopping/hop standing over the last couple years and found no DMS in my final beers. I don't like DMS (and by extension, Rolling Rock) so if this were happening in reality I'd have stopped hopping this way.
This is also my experience and viewpoint on whirlpool/stands.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!