Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cologne and Dusseldorf trip in the works  (Read 2447 times)

Offline wzl46

• Cellarman
Cologne and Dusseldorf trip in the works
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »
My wife and I will be going back to Germany later this year to stay with some friends in Frankfurt.  I am planning on heading up for some Kolsch and Altbier in Cologne and Dusseldorf, and I'm taking suggestions from anybody who has a "must visit" place to get some of the local beverages.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
PW
Yeast infections are only bad when they don't happen to wort.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Cologne and Dusseldorf trip in the works
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:13:35 am »
In Cologne: Haus Töller for dinner, Hausbrauerei Päffgen and Braustelle for beer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:31 am »
You can walk to Uerige, Im Fuschen, Zum Schuessel breweries and the Schneider tap house in the Altstadt in Duesseldorf. Have one at each (.25 liter), then go back to your favorite for more.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:11:17 am »
You can walk to Uerige, Im Fuschen, Zum Schuessel breweries and the Schneider tap house in the Altstadt in Duesseldorf. Have one at each (.25 liter), then go back to your favorite for more.

Great suggestion - I took a walking beer tour in the Alstadt that did this and it was a lot of fun.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:10 am »

Great suggestion - I took a walking beer tour in the Alstadt that did this and it was a lot of fun.
There is also a new Alt brewery there, Kuerzer, so I might have to go back someday.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:06:03 pm »

There is also a new Alt brewery there, Kuerzer, so I might have to go back someday.

I visited that one on my tour.  IIRC it has fermenters that are on the second level and only the very bottom of the cone sticks down through the concrete ceiling.  That was the first time I'd seen anything like that.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »

I visited that one on my tour.  IIRC it has fermenters that are on the second level and only the very bottom of the cone sticks down through the concrete ceiling.  That was the first time I'd seen anything like that.
It is common in big breweries, usually 800 bbl fermenters, which are outside, but the bottoms are in the cellar.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 03:36:06 am »
Everything you need to know about 'Dorf:
http://draftmag.com/features/alt-reality-dusseldorf-altbier/

Offline Kermie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:38:17 pm »
Papa joes in Cologne -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 01:36:30 pm »
If you take the ICE, Brussels is only like 3 hours from Frankfurt. The beer is way better there.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.