Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: F Cancer  (Read 2645 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
F Cancer
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »
I try to keep it clean on every forum I visit, but F Cancer. I lost my grandfather to cancer and my grandmother to cancer. I have friends who are suffering from cancer in all shapes and sizes, but today I lost a friend to brain cancer. He had two children who were fairly young.

I'm kinda tired of this cancer caca. I wear a Stand Up To Cancer wristband every single day and honestly I am not sure it is making a difference. We need to lick this arsewipe and end cancer once and for all. There is no reason a man in his early 40's should die because some stupid growth in his brain has happened. Yes, I have lost my crap right here and now. I lost of friend of 20+ years due to some stupid disease we cannot control.

Anyway if you feel so inclined I challenge you to please donate the cost of one brew to your favorite cancer charity so we can end this BS. If you don't have a cancer charity, then please donate to the 529 plan for the children of my friend who was taken far too soon.
http://www.richandthompson.com/new_view.php?id=5340973
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:45:04 pm by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: F Cancer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:52:21 pm »
So sorry for your loss, and especially sorry for his family's loss. No kid should lose a parent at such a young age.

If its any consolation, cancer research is a hotbed of new, promising development. Hopefully we'll kick cancer's butt in the coming decades.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:55:05 am »
Very sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad to cancer 5 years ago and my Mom is undergoing chemo now, so I can relate to how you feel. I'll be making a donation.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:58:05 am »
I figure if everybody donates the cost of a batch of homebrew to some cancer charity we can at least start to make a dent.

You Mom will beat it!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 06:35:21 am »
Thoughts and prayers to all............

Knowing several people with various cancers or ongoing treatments or in remission we have always made it a point to include various cancer charities in our annual donations. There is a lot of research out there and hopefully we can all look forward to the elimination of this terrible disease, regardless of the type.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 06:40:07 am »
My co-worker went through chemo twice for breast cancer. It was so bad the first time she didn't want to do it the second, but her doctors convinced her. Thankfully she's in remission now. I already donate to charities for her, so I send a check in for your friend's kids.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:44:30 am »
F cancer.

I lost my dad a little over a year ago to synovial sarcoma. It is literally a one in a million cancer. He had a team of wonderful doctors at Washington University that extended his time with us by four years - long enough to see my mom start nursing school, to see my sister start college and me graduate college, to meet both of the men my sister and I would marry, to find his faith again, and to touch so many people during his treatment. For that, I am grateful. But cancer still took my dad at 55 years old. F cancer.

Some of my dad's tumors are at the Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis for research. I take heart knowing that the strides they are making by studying his cancer may one day help another. I also make it a point to send his Christmas present in the form of a donation to Siteman's Patient Care Fund. That same fund helped our family during our struggles.

Mike, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. Know that you are not alone in your pain - feel free to reach out at any time.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:26:51 am »
Mike, I'm sorry for your loss. I agree that cancer is a terrible thing. I currently have 2 friends going through treatment. We pray that they make it through and hopefully go into remission.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
It's never ceases to amaze me that even with the insurmountable amount of medicine, medical technology and advancements that we have uncovered/developed, that we are still unable to find a cure for this dreadful disease.

Sorry about your loss Mike.
Ron Price

Offline 5oclocksomewhere

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:59:25 am »
Sorry to hear about your loss!
I lost my wife to cancer at only 32 years old, just 17 months ago, so yeah, I hate cancer too!!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:27 am »
Mike, I am sorry for your loss.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »
Very sorry for your loss.

I've lost count of all the people I know who are in or going through treatments in the last 5 years.

Lots of research being done.  Lots of very interesting findings coming out.  Hopefully, soon, we can make some real headway against this class of affliction.  Assuming the makers of the medications can let go of the profits from the current treatments.

Here's to hope!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »
Sorry for your loss Mike.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 07:26:50 pm »
Mike, also sorry for your loss. My first loss to cancer was my first family pet when I was about 10-12. Since then, a grandmother, aunts, uncles, assorted relatives, and a fraternity brother about 6 years ago at 38 years old. We just need to keep plugging away at finding the cure.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 08:04:49 pm »
Sorry for your loss.  A month or two ago my Sister-in-Law was told she has about six months so yeah, cancer sucks big time.
Joe