Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Club Insurance Program  (Read 7187 times)

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Re: AHA Club Insurance Program
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:32 am »
Just received an email from West Ins. regarding E & O insurance for Directors & Officers.  No prior heads up from AHA on this. 

Anyone with info on this?  Drew?  Denny?
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »
It's a new program that they're putting out the feelers for to see if there's enough interest to create the program.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 05:43:53 pm »
Aren't the officers already covered?  or are the limits on the base policy from last year too low?

Bluffton SC

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 06:33:34 pm »
Luke would be much more accurate about explaining what the coverage than I could be - I'm just a lowly computer guy.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 07:25:46 pm »
Thanks Drew.  I'll get up with him & report back.

Bluffton SC

Offline lukedobrich12

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 03:14:47 pm »
Luke Dobrich here with West's Insurance...

I wanted to provide some clarification on the AHA's new D&O Insurance offering for homebrew clubs.  The D&O Insurance policy provides coverage for a different set of exposures than the current homebrew club program. 

All club members, including the director and officers of a club, are included in the coverage provided by the current homebrew club insurance program (which provides coverage your club’s exposures related to general liability and liquor liability).

D&O insurance provides coverage for a different set of insurance exposures.

The main difference between the current homebrew club insurance program and a D&O policy is that the homebrew club program provides coverage for your clubs negligence that causes someone to be physically injured or someone else’s property to be damaged because of your club’s activities.  The D&O insurance provides coverage should a director or officer or the club be sued by someone based on their decisions made that someone else thinks is wrong.

An Example would be if someone alleges that they were discriminated against in the declination of their membership in the club or the removing of an individual’s membership status in the club.  Another example would be if a fellow club member files a suit against the club’s officers because they are unhappy with the direction of the club or use of funds, etc.

The current homebrew club program that provides the general liability and most importantly the liquor liability limits provides coverage for, in my opinion, the largest insurance-related exposures for a homebrew club. 

A number of clubs (at the request of their directors and officers) have chosen to add the additional D&O coverage to round out their insurance program.  Since a number of clubs have asked about the coverage, we approached our carrier who agreed to offer preferred pricing for the AHA's registered clubs.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks! Luke
(847) 623-0456

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 02:47:51 pm »
Thanks Luke.  We'll run this past the club.

Bluffton SC

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:39 pm »
I've had several club members ask me whether we should enroll in this.  To date, I have responded to them that I didn't see a particular need.  There is no social host liability in Maryland, and most of our events are at members' homes, or at other venues where we are invited to do demonstrations and where I believe the property owner's liability insurance would apply to anything that happens.

But, I'm an insurance claim guy, and before I can give any of our members what I think is a reliable answer, I would need to see the policies, both the general/liquor liability policy and the D&O policy.  I haven't been able to find it...are they available for review?
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 08:02:04 am »
I've had several club members ask me whether we should enroll in this.  To date, I have responded to them that I didn't see a particular need.  There is no social host liability in Maryland, and most of our events are at members' homes, or at other venues where we are invited to do demonstrations and where I believe the property owner's liability insurance would apply to anything that happens.

But, I'm an insurance claim guy, and before I can give any of our members what I think is a reliable answer, I would need to see the policies, both the general/liquor liability policy and the D&O policy.  I haven't been able to find it...are they available for review?
I think you can get a copy from Luke.  For $3.50/member IMO it's a good deal

Bluffton SC

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 12:09:33 pm »

Part of the value of AHA insurance is that some people are worried about getting sued even if there is no social host liability in your state and thus they do not fully participate/contribute to the club activities.  Getting these people more involved in the club makes the club better.

Also even if there is no social host liability in your state, people may sue you anyway.  The insurer has a "duty to defend," i.e., to provide you a lawyer.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 12:35:32 pm »
I don't disagree, but I still need to see the policy language first.  What's a covered event?  What are the definitions, and exclusions?  I assume there is an "other insurance" clause which for some types of claims (e.g. a general liability type of claim) might consider a homeowner policy as primary.  Request for both policies has been made thru West's web site.  I was kind of disappointed that specimen policies were not made available at the NHC seminar on the insurance program.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:39:20 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »
I reviewed the policy too in great detail, before the club purchased it.