Author Topic: Brewer Bio: Brian F  (Read 1173 times)

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio: Brian F
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
Who Are You:  Hi I’m Brian (hence the username). I’m 26 an graduated from North Dakota State Univ with a degree in mechanical engineering. I now live in Colorado and design/sell HVAC systems for commercial kitchen applications as well a lot of pot shops and breweries. I am an avid adventure seeker and love things that end in –ing.

I've been home brewing over the last year or so and my passion for brewing and beer in general has been growing into what I've realized could potentially be my new vocation. I've recently been contemplating the idea of getting into the industry and am at a point where I'd like to learn what it is that actually looks like. Whether it's an engineering role for a larger brewery, or the startup of a small pub, I'd like to pick the brains of all people on different levels and try to figure out where God might have me end up. I’m here to lean!

Home Town (City, State): Plymouth, MN

Homebrew Club: What’s a homebrew club do? Sometimes I drink homebrew with my friends…does that count?

I've been a homebrewer since: Feburary 2013

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? I was once brewing with some friends and explaining the whole process that I went right from racking into my primary to adding my bottling sugars. I ended up having to add additional sugars a few weeks later before bottling and ended up with the strongest Kolsch known to man. The first glass wasn’t so good, but each glass after that went down a bit smoother! ;)

What is your favorite style(s) to brew? I love brewing IPAs and filling the house with delicious hop smells.

What style(s) will you never brew? I’d brew anything once.

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? First brew ever was the Everyday IPA from Brooklyn Brew Co. It still stands as one of my favorite brews to date. That could quite possibly be because I was so surprised that it worked.

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? I did a half grain/half extract and was so focused on my hot/cold break that I forgot to add the extract during the end of the boil. I had already tucked the wort away in my closet and started cleaning up before I noticed I had forgotten to add it. I went back and added it to the now chilled wort, and it ended up being one of the people’s favorite IPAs that I’d done up to that point!

What is your favorite beer recipe? Favorite recipe that comes to mind was not even my own. I spoke with a brewer at a local brewery who used actual Cinnamon Toast Crunch in his mash. Most unique beer I’ve ever tasted!

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? I designed my immersion chiller into the shape of an “8” and am able to cool down 5 gallons of wort in 7-10 minutes. I also have a rule that beer must be consumed during the brewing process.

Describe your brew system. I’m in the process of upgrading to an all grain setup, but currently I mash, boil, and chill in the same 3 gallon pot. Like I previously stated, I made an immersion chiller out of copper pipe and combine that with an ice bath to chill my beer. My primary fermenter is the standard Ale Pale, and secondary is the glass carboy. I just purchased a 3 keg keezer so I can put all the bottling to rest!

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? I have been brewing about once every other month, and looking to start brewing a new batch at least once a month.

Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew? My labels are either a blank bottle or the foamy remnants on the empty part of the glass.

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? A tennis shoe…just kidding, but seriously…this would be cool.

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? Non that I’m aware of ;)

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? I usually let my people know when I’m brewing and end up with 4-5 thirsty guys drinking all my beer.

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Currently I brew indoors, but with my move to all grain I may be moving to the garage.

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? I name my beer what they are ie. Wheat, IPA, Kolsch, Stout…

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewer Bio: Brian F
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 04:28:08 PM »
Hiya, Brian!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
Welcome aboard Brian! 8)
Ron Price

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »
Welcome Brian !  I like your keezer build btw.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
Looks great! Welcome aboard. I've learned a ton here in the last 9 or so months
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg: Märzen
In Bottles:  
In the works:

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »
Welcome Brian
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »
I appreciate all the warm welcomes and look forward to getting to know some of you on a geeky internet forum kinda level.

For me, the idea to seriously look into the brewing industry is super exciting. When I got my degree in mechanical engineering I still didn't really know what I wanted to do, or what a mechanical engineer actually does haha! I've got a great job and enjoy what I'm doing now, but to have an idea of what you wanna be when you "grow up" is a pretty exciting thing to figure out! Cheers!

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:40 PM »
Welcome and sante!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17