Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: forgot to prime???  (Read 3101 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: forgot to prime???
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 02:20:07 pm »
Do you see a thin layer of sediment on the bottom of your bottles?  That would normally be the yeast from bottle conditioning.  Shake the bottles up to rouse the yeast.  If you don't see any sediment, I suspect that you forgot to prime.

A fellow brewer told me that you can carbonate with 1 sugar cube and that they provide about 2.5 v/v of sugar.  I haven't tried sugar cubes but I was going to try it the next time I have more beer than will fit in a keg or I want a few bottles for competition.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 06:10:11 am »
Just sampled a Summit saga clone i bottled on 7/20. Taste is spot on however flat as a pancake. I cant imagine I forgot to prime which I always do with two cups water and 5oz corn sugar on the stove top. Could it be something else? Like I said taste is spot on its just flat no carb at all.
Thanks, still learning,
Jimmykx250
I think everyone is forgetting one important possibility. Two questions: Did you have hot dogs for lunch on bottling day? Were they boiled or grilled? If boiled see reply 9 on this thread: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19639.0
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 09:29:11 am »
If it's completely flat then you didn't prime, the caps didn't seal, or all your yeast is dead. Carbonation is a necessary byproduct of bottle fermentation. If your beer fermented warmer than you think then you will have less dissolved CO2 in the beer but that would only result in under-carbonation rather than no carbonation.

If the beer tastes sweeter than it did before you bottled it then you primed but your yeast are dead (which would mean you either poisoned them or tried to boil your beer).

If the caps come off by hand or you can twist them then the caps did not seal.

If the caps are tight and the beer is not sweeter than it was pre-bottling then you did not prime the beer. This is not as outlandish as you might think. After five years of brewing and bottling I recently forgot to prime a batch and only remembered after I had put on the last cap. Fortunately mine was only a gallon batch but I was not happy with myself.

Pop the caps, add some sugar and reseal. Or enjoy some still beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing