Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03:32 pm »
Orange County, CA? If so, check out the ecology center in San Juan Capistrano. They offer brewing classes, but the next one isn't until late September. I have not attended one, so I can't fully vouch for it.

Even if you don't go for the class, be sure to check it out sometime. It's an amazing place ran by some incredible people. http://theecologycenter.org

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 10:14:45 pm »
Wheezy, what part of oc? I'm in ranch santa margarita and brew with my two neighbors.
- Charles

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:33 am »
Never done anything besides drink beer.
Searched a few phrases here, but seems most of you guys are way more advanced.

Where is square 1 for learning to brew beer?  (the right way) 

I'm an IPA guy for sure.

Thanks for your time and input.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/beginner/how-to-make-beer/ .... some of the best info around.

I would also suggest checking out the Let's Brew section on HomebrewersAssociation.org. There are step-by-step tutorials for various methods of brewing across different experience levels. I would suggest starting in the Beginner section or with the "Extract w/ specialty grains" tutorial in the intermediate section. Both utilize malt extracts for all the fermentables, but the specialty grains gets your feet wet in using raw grain ingredients without too much more hassle.

Also, check out Zymurgy: An Introduction to Homebrewing. It is free to download and covers the brewing process for beginners.

And, of course, ask us forum-peeps questions, too!

Cheers,
Duncan

Definitely a +1 on the Zymurgy pamphlet.  We got a bunch of them for the Big Brew Day and handed out to anyone who's never brewed before.  It's rather brief in some areas, but for a beginner, it really does a good job of telling you what your in for when you start this wonderful hobby. 

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
  • So many craft beers to try, so little time
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 07:46:07 am »

I'm an IPA guy for sure.

Welcome! When we started, we did so by making a very small investment in a one-gallon kit, which gives you everything you need, including step-by-step instructions. It will also allow you to easily try it on your kitchen stove top. If you Google homebrewing kits, a lot of options will come up, and you can buy online.

Making beer with a small batch kit is really easy (if you can make soup, you can make beer). We got hooked, and I think you will too, and soon we were stepping up to larger batches, and eventually all-grain brewing.

But my advice would be not to invest too much until you see if it's for you. You can get a complete, one-gallon kit for around 50 bucks, and be drinking your own beer within a couple of weeks.

All of the other advice you are getting here is excellent, but (and it's just my opinion from my personal experience), I feel it's best to "get your feet wet" first to see if it's for you.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:49:15 am by CroceBrewing »
"You've never really had a beer until you've had your first homebrew."

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 11:05:32 am »

I'm an IPA guy for sure.

Welcome! When we started, we did so by making a very small investment in a one-gallon kit, which gives you everything you need, including step-by-step instructions. It will also allow you to easily try it on your kitchen stove top. If you Google homebrewing kits, a lot of options will come up, and you can buy online.

Making beer with a small batch kit is really easy (if you can make soup, you can make beer). We got hooked, and I think you will too, and soon we were stepping up to larger batches, and eventually all-grain brewing.

But my advice would be not to invest too much until you see if it's for you. You can get a complete, one-gallon kit for around 50 bucks, and be drinking your own beer within a couple of weeks.

All of the other advice you are getting here is excellent, but (and it's just my opinion from my personal experience), I feel it's best to "get your feet wet" first to see if it's for you.

Cheers!

I also started with the 1 gallon kit, but now that's just sitting around. Honestly, I'd give it to ya if you were in the area. My advice would be to brew with your friend once and if it seems like something you want to get into then check out craigslist for a decent 5 gallon setup. New my 5 gallon setup was around $200 and you can easily find all you need for under that. 1 gallon is roughly a 12 pack and that goes by pretty quick. Waiting ~4 weeks for a 12 pack was cool and all, but idk how many people brew more than a couple 1 gallon batches before they upgrade.