Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Possibly buying a kegerator - need advice  (Read 1419 times)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
Possibly buying a kegerator - need advice
« on: August 07, 2014, 03:18:20 pm »
I have been planning a keezer build for a while.  What I had sketched in my head was a 4-tap kegerator built on about a 14.8 cu. ft. chest freezer - pretty standard stuff..  However, today on Craiglist, I found this:

http://chambana.craigslist.org/app/4607187481.html

It has a badge on it that says "Superior Mfg. Co."  I think this is a Bev-Air that Superior badged over, but I could be wrong.  The seller doesn't really know how old it is - bought second or third hand.  He says it runs great and is in working order.  He is asking $1700 with the tap handles, CO2 tank and regulator included.  I know that new, these retail for $3000+.  I figure with the parts needed to convert it to corny kegs, I'm coming out even or a little cheaper than if I build it myself.  I am saving myself the build time.  I mainly concerned if it might be too old and how I am going to get this bear down to my basement.  Thoughts??  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:49:48 pm by lazydog79 »

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
Re: Possibly buying a kegerator - need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 03:32:40 pm »
With something that nice I'd stick to my motto of "Don't think, just buy." What material is the top made of?

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:36:51 pm »
It is a regular commercial grade kegerator - so a galvanized steel box with vinyl covering and a stainless steel top.  I know it looks nice.  As for the age, I'm sure these commercial grade kegerators can run a long time.  Just thinking of how I'm going to move it...

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »
Commercial pumps, while longer lasting, are much louder than a residential freezer or fridge. Might be something to consider depending on where you want to put it.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »
I hadn't thought of that - good point.  It's going to be in the basement...which will one day be my basement bar, so I am not overly concerned by that. I'm thinking of paying a mover to get around the moving problem.  I think I might be talking myself into it.  I'm just thinking a commercial unit might be over-kill.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:36:14 pm by lazydog79 »