Author Topic: Lowes vs Home Depot MLT  (Read 1635 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lowes vs Home Depot MLT
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
Believe it or not, I found that using a ball valve reduced the performance of my cooler.  That's why I've stuck with a simple nylon gate valve all these years.

Reduced the performance in what way?

It was more difficult to control the runoff speed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »
Believe it or not, I found that using a ball valve reduced the performance of my cooler.  That's why I've stuck with a simple nylon gate valve all these years.

Reduced the performance in what way?

It was more difficult to control the runoff speed.

Ahh well I'll go ahead and see if I can exchange this ball valve and go with the nylon valve instead. Brass fitting are expensive!!!

Offline alestateyall

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »

Easier to clean too I bet.
Tommy M.
Starkville, MS

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
I like the ball valves for one hand operation. I started with the small valves and switched. Didn't notice any other difference. I also sparge full bore (with a 3/8 barb fitting) after recirc, so adjusting flow is minimal concern to me.

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
I like the ball valves for one hand operation. I started with the small valves and switched. Didn't notice any other difference. I also sparge full bore (with a 3/8 barb fitting) after recirc, so adjusting flow is minimal concern to me.

Same here.
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
Another option is to forego the ball valve altogether.  I just have the tubing come directly out of the cooler and I tuck the end of the tubing up into the handle on the cooler.  When I want to drain, all I have to do is to lower the tubing into the kettle.  To stop, lift the hose up again.  Easy peasy.

this is what I do too. never (knock on wood) had a problem yet. I don't see it as any more likely to cause a problem than forgetting to close the ball valve.
Would not recommend this method.

I had this system for one brew day before the hose came loose from the clamp, sprayed 154F wort on my jeans and into my shoes. After attempting to secure the hose above the liquid level again, I had to kick off my shoes and rip off my pants due to the sopping wet hot mess I was wearing at the time. The kitchen was a sticky mess, my shoes and pants were a sticky mess, and the rest of the brew day was barely salvageable.

Safety first guys! Get the gate valve that Denny linked as a preventative measure at the very least.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP Master

Redbird Brewhouse - Finishing Touches on the Basement Bar

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »

Same here.

I don't really have any issues adjusting flow with the ball valve.  I typically run it a little shy of half open and it works great.

I can't just throw it open and go. I end up with a really stuck sparge if I try anything over 1/2.  Denny's RIPA will stop my system cold if I run it over 1/4 open.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »

Another option is to forego the ball valve altogether.  I just have the tubing come directly out of the cooler and I tuck the end of the tubing up into the handle on the cooler.  When I want to drain, all I have to do is to lower the tubing into the kettle.  To stop, lift the hose up again.  Easy peasy.

this is what I do too. never (knock on wood) had a problem yet. I don't see it as any more likely to cause a problem than forgetting to close the ball valve.

I had this system for one brew day before the hose came loose from the clamp, sprayed 154F wort on my jeans and into my shoes. After attempting to secure the hose above the liquid level again, I had to kick off my shoes and rip off my pants due to the sopping wet hot mess I was wearing at the time. The kitchen was a sticky mess, my shoes and pants were a sticky mess, and the rest of the brew day was barely salvageable.

Safety first guys! Get the gate valve that Denny linked as a preventative measure at the very least.

Am I the only one that doesn't wear pants when brewing? [emoji5]️

Honestly, I never wear shoes. Even flip flops are optional.

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »

that's fine until the valve fails or the clamp between the valve and the line or any number of other failure points. I tuck the lose end under the cooler handle with slides down thus pinning the tube. if the tube tries to slip out it pulls the handle down tighter. I've had this set up for probably 50 or more brew days and the only time it was a problem was when I simply forgot to put the tube up and about a gallon of strike water flowed out before i noticed.

(also, I don't wear pants when brewing and it only take a moment to pull off a kilt. I also brew outside so sticky is less of an issue.)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

Offline HiImBrian

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »

I think I found my problem. Next brew will be a pants off kinda brew haha!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

Same here.

The only time it's an issue for me is when I start runoff.  I like to go slowly to set the grain bed without compacting it too much.  After that, it's full throttle.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »

You're a brave man.  I never brew without wearing jeans and shoes.  I've had too many mishaps when I dressed more casually.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
that's fine until the valve fails or the clamp between the valve and the line or any number of other failure points.

While all of that is theoretically possible, if it hasn't happened in the number of times I've used the cooler, I'm willing to play the odds.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »

You're a brave man.  I never brew without wearing jeans and shoes.  I've had too many mishaps when I dressed more casually.

That's what I'm thinking Denny!  :o
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP Master

Redbird Brewhouse - Finishing Touches on the Basement Bar

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »

That's what I'm thinking Denny!  :o

Yeah, I've been splashed a couple times over the years, once while wearing shorts.  Umm....sucks. Don't recommend it.  Hasn't happened since I stopped drinking while brewing though - coincidence ?  Hmmm.   :D
Jon H.