Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first competition entry  (Read 4564 times)

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: first competition entry
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 02:14:53 am »
I understood you from the beginning Jim, but it is easier to follow in your last post. I guess the other seemed a little touchy feely and the hippy comment made me laugh so I joined in. Your thoughts remind me of an eighties movies starring Woody Harrelson, where he stated that some people would rather look pretty than win; while he was just trying to win. He felt dunking( he couldn't) was just too flashy and not enough substance
Look man, you can listen to Jimi but you cant hear him.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 04:52:15 am »

Look man, you can listen to Jimi but you cant hear him.
[/quote]
Great line!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline darwin18

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 11:01:03 am »
OP - Congrats on the 37.  That's a fine score.

I'm usually happy with a score 35 and higher.  Anything less and I know there is an issue that I haven't perceived and need to improve upon.  Usually that's a recipe issue.

As for winning with a "low" score:  Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes you have a judging pair that just do not give out high scores.  A few years ago I had a Bo Pils win it's category with a score of 32.  There was not one negative comment and the judges seemed pleased with it, but they still scored it "low".  The same beer scored in the low 40's a few weeks later at another competition. 

Kudos OP for sending your beer to another competition to see how it compares.  If it scores well again, you've got a solid competition beer on your hands. 
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

Offline epic1856

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:28 am »

Kudos OP for sending your beer to another competition to see how it compares.  If it scores well again, you've got a solid competition beer on your hands.

Resubmitting the beer is the best way to confirm your beer is good.