Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bruery Hottenroth  (Read 1327 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Bruery Hottenroth
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:43:43 pm »
This is my first time trying a commercial straight-up Berliner Weisse and man, am I impressed. Hottenroth is certainly tart, but it is not in the realm of gueuze or La Folie. For such a small beer, it is remarkably complex. There is a big, bready graininess to it, and a nice lactic twang to balance it out. The Bruery always impresses me with their sours, and this is no exception.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
Re: Bruery Hottenroth
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:24:04 pm »
I'm sad to say the bottle I had of it last year smelled and tasted very much like laundry gray water (smells and likely tastes).

Being less than 30 miles from Placentia, I would think that bottle of Hottenroth would not have been too old.  Who knows though.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Bruery Hottenroth
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:28:42 am »
This is my first time trying a commercial straight-up Berliner Weisse and man, am I impressed. For such a small beer, it is remarkably complex. There is a big, bready graininess to it, and a nice lactic twang to balance it out. The Bruery always impresses me with their sours, and this is no exception.
+1 to all of this. Saw this at bottle shop Friday and had to get it after reading Eric's review. My girlfriend and I both really enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up Eric
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bruery Hottenroth
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:50:00 am »
I have had ups and downs with this one.  First time I tried it I thought it was very good and the second time as stated above I thought the beer was slightly off-putting, bland, and even very thin for a BW.  Oh well...you win some, you lose some!