Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cinnamon Rolls?!?!  (Read 1785 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Cinnamon Rolls?!?!
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:44:43 pm »
I'm trying to figure out the last beer for my Christmas tap line up. So far I have a breakfast stout, raspberry ale, and spruce ale. For the last beer, I want to brew a winter warmer of sort but go completely outside the box with it. Would it be completely idiotic of me to bake up a few cans of cinnamon rolls (icing and everything), put in a bag, and toss them in for the last 5 minutes of the boil?
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Cinnamon Rolls?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:53:36 pm »
yes
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »
I suspect you would get a lot of unconverted starch carryover. you could toss it in the mash maybe.

But I would try to figure out a way to emulate or signify the Cinnamon roll with 'normal' beer ingredients. Get your bready malt character with some biscuit malt or victory. get your sweet lemony frosting flavor with hops or citrus peel and crystal malt, and spices for your spices
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
I think any butter or other fat used in the dough would be a major drawback, man.  I say use some Victory or Biscuit for toasty/biscuity/bready character, lactose for added unfermentable sweetness, and of course cinnamon. I think it'd work nicely.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:31 pm »
Ooooook... Party poopers lol. I didn't want to use traditional beer ingredients to match the flavors. I really suck at adding spices, it never ends up right in the end. I suppose you guys are right. That's why I love ya. Back to the drawing board....
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »
Ok... So how much biscuit and lactose? I don't want hints of bread or icing... I want it to be like drinking a cinnamon roll (that'll get you drunk)
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 05:43:25 pm »
Ok... So how much biscuit and lactose? I don't want hints of bread or icing... I want it to be like drinking a cinnamon roll (that'll get you drunk)

I would use a 1/2 lb of biscuit or Victory.  And for the lactose, I use 1 lb in sweet stout, so that'll definitely give you sweetness to play off the cinnamon. This might be a case where using vodka to make a cinnamon tincture might be a good thing. You could add drops slowly to a measured beer until you get the amount of flavor you want, then scale up to your batch size.

EDIT  -  You sure you can put away 5 gallons ? Might be a good one for a smaller batch. OTOH, it might be killer. Good luck !
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:00:47 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:57 pm »
You could serve cinnamon rolls with the beer.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:44:53 pm »
Local brewery here has a hazelnut double brown ale. It is fantastic. For Oktoberfest last year they tapped a firkin an hour of different flavors of this nut brown. The cinnamon roll version was tapped at breakfast hours. I did not taste it but was told it was the star of the show and blew faster than any other version. Just my vote for "give it a try somehow@ I have no idea how they got the flavoring, I am still trying to clone the base beer. Good luck and happy holidays
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:29 pm »
I think you need to add the cinnamon on the hot side for this (like a flameout steep for example). Adding it by tincture may get you more "Red Hots" cinnamon than baked goodness. A light touch of vanilla will probably emphasize the sweet spice side of the cinnamon, but you want the vanilla just barely there.

I'm thinking maybe an ESB-like grain bill, with MO for your base malt and some medium crystal for some sweet caramel-like notes. If you want butter, then get your hands on Red Hook's yeast...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:51:35 am »
Completely stupid. Everyone knows cinnamon rolls should be mashed.  :D
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:00 am »
Completely stupid. Everyone knows cinnamon rolls should be mashed.  :D

I thought you mashed donuts and steeped cinnamon rolls