Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked Oats & Torrified Wheat in Oatmeal Stout: Redundant?  (Read 4416 times)

Offline GarrisonDH

• 1st Kit
Flaked Oats & Torrified Wheat in Oatmeal Stout: Redundant?
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:31:31 pm »
Hi Friends, I'm gearing up to brew my first all-grain oatmeal stout this weekend and have a question for all the vets of such brew days: is combining both flaked oats and torrified wheat in the mash to enhance the beer's body and head retention redundant? Here's the current grain bill:

7.5 lbs Maris Otter (60%)
1 lb Flaked Oats (8%)
1 lb Torrified Wheat (8%)
0.75 lb Crystal 75L (6%)
0.75 lb Victory (6%)
0.5 Brown Malt (4%)
0.5 Roasted Barley (4%)
0.5 Chocolate Malt (4%)

Do the adjunct combinations make sense here? Or would it be simpler to go with flaked oats alone and dial up their contribution a bit? Thanks for the advice!!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Flaked Oats & Torrified Wheat in Oatmeal Stout: Redundant?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »
Personally, I would drop the torrefied and use an extra lb of base malt. The oatmeal is obviously integral and will provide plenty of mouthfeel in addition. I would also drop the brown and sub in chocolate in the same amount. And Maris Otter is fairly toasty/biscuity on its own so I would drop the Victory`which is biscuity and sub in .75 lb more of your base malt. That is a streamlined recipe now which is pretty similar to mine. By no means am I saying that your recipe couldn't be good, but sometimes too many malts can give you a 'muddy' poorly defined malt character. Good luck !
Jon H.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:14:26 pm »
Have to agree pretty much across the board with Hoosier. 8 grains is too many. Keep your recipes as simple as possible. I don't have my recipe handy, but its: Marris Otter, flaked oats, Crystal 60 or 80, roasted barley and chocolate malt.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline GarrisonDH

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:03:02 pm »
Awesome, thanks so much for the pointers! The feedback is most helpful and appreciated, this being my first foray into the style. Here's how I've simplified the recipe:

8.5 lbs Maris Otter (66%)
2 lbs Flaked Oats (15%)
0.75 lbs Crystal 75L (5%)
0.75 lbs Pale Chocolate (5%)
0.75 lbs Roasted Barley (5%)
Target OG: 1.063

Thoughts? And while I'm at it, I might as well ask you about your preferred yeast strains; I'm torn between White Labs' 004 Irish Ale and 022 Essex Ale (my local homebrew store is a WL supplier). What do you think?

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:35:40 am »
The WL Essex is one that I really like. Ester profile is fruity, it drops bright with a little time, and is a top cropped if you harvest that way.

Never used it for a stout, though.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 06:25:38 am »

Personally, I would drop the torrefied and use an extra lb of base malt. The oatmeal is obviously integral and will provide plenty of mouthfeel in addition. I would also drop the brown and sub in chocolate in the same amount. And Maris Otter is fairly toasty/biscuity on its own so I would drop the Victory`which is biscuity and sub in .75 lb more of your base malt. That is a streamlined recipe now which is pretty similar to mine. By no means am I saying that your recipe couldn't be good, but sometimes too many malts can give you a 'muddy' poorly defined malt character. Good luck !
I really like the looks of that Jon
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:14:47 am »
I agree with most of this, except I'd probably keep the torrified wheat. Torrified wheat has a nice nutty flavor that I personally like in many of my English-style ales.

I think the takeaway is to know what each ingredient is doing in a recipe and pare down anything that doesn't have a clear purpose. For me, I'd be including torrified wheat as a flavor component. But if you're using it for mouthfeel and not flavor, then the oats have you covered and you can get rid of it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 07:37:37 am »
I agree with most of this, except I'd probably keep the torrified wheat. Torrified wheat has a nice nutty flavor that I personally like in many of my English-style ales.

I think the takeaway is to know what each ingredient is doing in a recipe and pare down anything that doesn't have a clear purpose. For me, I'd be including torrified wheat as a flavor component. But if you're using it for mouthfeel and not flavor, then the oats have you covered and you can get rid of it.

Normally I'd agree because I like the flavor of torrefied in paler ales. I just don't know how noticeable it'd be in an oatmeal stout. I could be wrong.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:55 am »
I think the takeaway is to know what each ingredient is doing in a recipe and pare down anything that doesn't have a clear purpose.

:-*   ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »
agree with others. here's my typical grist:

7 lbs           warminster floor malted Maris Otter (4.5 SRM)   Grain   1   65.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz   Oats, Flaked (6.0 SRM)   Grain   2   14.1 %
8.0 oz   Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)   Grain   3   4.7 %
8.0 oz   Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)   Grain   4   4.7 %
1.0 pkg   Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP037) [50.28 ml]   Yeast   7   -
12.0 oz   Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)   Grain   8   7.1 %
3.0 oz   English Crisp Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM)   Grain   9   1.8 %
3.0 oz   Simpsons Black Malt - 2-Row (500.0 SRM)   Grain   10   1.8 %

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider