Author Topic: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?  (Read 10106 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
Sorry I couldn't give you that clear an answer, Dean.  I guess I just didn't understand what you were getting at as well as Drew did.  He's pretty bright for a kid!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline garyg

• Administrator
  • Brewer
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
A lot of what we do is spelled out on the AHA website in the Government Affairs section: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes.

In terms of homebrew legalization, the process works like this:
We are contacted by local homebrewers who are interested in changing the laws in their state. 
We can provide history of past attempts to legalize homebrewing based on whatever records we have on file.
We can help line-up allies within the brewing community.
We also advise homebrewers through the legislative process, provide samples of statute language from other states, who to involve in the process, how to avoid creating enemies that can sink the process, etc.
When needed, we rally the troops to contact politicians to garner support for bills, including all AHA members within the state, Brewers Association brewery members, and Support Your Local Brewery Members as well as posts to the AHA Forum and TechTalk.  We include other influential people within the brewing community, such as The Brewing Network, Basic Brewing Radio, and Beer Advocate in our Action Alerts.  We also use social media, including twitter (@AHADirector) and the AHA Facebook page to spread the word. 

For both Oklahoma and Utah, we sent press releases when the legalization bills were signed into law, though our media database is primarily beer and food writers. 

Gary Glass
AHA Director
Gary Glass
American Homebrewers Association Director
Boulder, Colorado

Offline jkeeler

• Administrator
  • Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Northern Brewer
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »
As an incoming member of the board, I'm happy to see a dialogue occurring between members and the board.  This forum is a great tool for such discourse, and I'm happy that it is being utilized.

I've read everything posted here so far, and thought I'd just put my two-cents in.  With this being said, I would welcome requests and discussions on what members would like to see, and find out how my ideas intersect with my fellow AHA members.  The following is a short list of what I'd like to accomplish:

1. Make efforts to increase dialogue between the AHA and it's members (like this thread!)
2. Explore more grass roots efforts (like AHA wort rallies) in raising the awareness and engagement within the hobby of homebrewing.
3. Develop approaches though new media. (shameless plug, but it's applicable - www.brewingtv.com)
4. Work to get homebrewing into a main-stream discourse vs. niche hobby.  This is essentially the balance to point #2 in a coordinated effort to move homebrewing into main stream culture.
5. Develop stronger relationships with partners and entities in the homebrewing industry, as they have historically done some heavy lifting for homebrewing culture, and will be crucial in it's future.

These of course are bullet points.  And much like a typical politician they are easy come, easy go from the mouth.  I do have specific road-maps and plans on how to attain them though.  My goal is to lay these ideas out as I work with other board members and develop my role in assisting the AHA.

I think the AHA's future as an organization, and how it serves it's members, faces daunting demands but explosive potential.  I will go forward with this belief as long as I'm asked to serve.

cheers!

Better then a dull stick in the eye

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
It's great to have you and Fred as new blood on the GC, Jake.  Believe it or not, I kinda look forward to that 6 hour meeting every NHC because of what gets done in charting the course of the AHA.  The more feedback we solicit from members, the better we serve them and the hobby.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2010, 11:01:59 AM »
Both audio and video captures of presentations are ideas that have been discussed and I'm willing to bet will be implemented at some point.  Powerpoints are available going back a few years.  ...

Since we have the new revised friendly and super spiffy home page.
Where the heck are the PDF and sessions from previous years located?
I can't seem to find them.
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
Since we have the new revised friendly and super spiffy home page.
Where the heck are the PDF and sessions from previous years located?
I can't seem to find them.

http://ahaconference.org/speakerspresentation.html

But I'm with you...they should be easier to find.  I'll see what we can do about that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2010, 03:43:36 PM »
At this years conference there seems to be a focused effort to gather the presentations from the speakers.  Not all presentations from past years are on the site.  If this years are all posted in a few weeks, I will view this as good progress.

At the conference you can't make it to all of the sessions, so having the ability to read the presentations is one way around that.

PS - Good to see you last night, Denny.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
You, too, Jeff!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline darkhorse

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »
I would like to see the AHA make the competition software used for the National Competition available as shareware to the clubs.
Steve

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »
I would like to see the AHA make the competition software used for the National Competition available as shareware to the clubs.

Wow, no kidding!  I've been using HCCP, and as much as I really appreciate all the effort that Al put into it, I'd love something a bit friendlier to use.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Crispy275

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2010, 07:07:50 AM »
One of this year's "themes" for the AHA Governing Committee annual meeting agenda was how to identify and solicit some of its memberships passion and skill sets to help the organization be stronger, more member orientated and to help spread some of the good ideas we have heard from members.

We discussed and agreed that we will try very specific and targeted "asks" of the membership. Two areas that were initially discussed were club insurance and some sort of national homebrew experiement.

I am happy to say that during the AHA member meeting on Friday that one individual from the Beer Barons of Milwalkee (name withheld until something materializes) indicated that their club currently does have liability insurance, is set up as a not for profit, and he has volunteered to share their policy with me. I have 20 years of Insurance experience, so I will be able to disect the policy and perhaps something nationally could become available. Or it may end up being a state specific policy only - we will see.

Another member approached fellow AHA GC member Fred Bonjour and indicated that he had a legal background, and could potentially provide some state reviews of their shipping laws. Here at Ford, a 50 state review is a very expensive and time consuming task. It would be wonderful if we could get more members to share their skill sets and provide the,m with some recognition and appreciation for their efforts.

The biggest concern is having people raise their hands to help out and then not following through. This is why we will focus on specific and targeted "asks" of our membership. Are you a biologist, a chemist, social media guru or have some other talent that you want to help out on? Watch for these asks on the Forum as Gary, his staff (Janis & Kate), the GC and the AHA members respond.

In the end, I have to say after six years on the AHA Governing Committee, the AHA does a bang up job with their limited resources. Could they do more? I believe that they could, but only by reducing their focus on what they are currently doing an excellent job on.

Since I have become chairperson of this august group, I have urged the AHA GC to do more. As you look at who is on the GC, they all do a terrific job of promoting the hobby in their own ways. So perhaps the biggest bang we can get for our hobby is to seek out, identify, encourage and help our members become more involved. Even if we gain only 1/10th of 1% of our members to chip in, that would be an additional 20 subject matter experts. And like Justin, one of our newest GC members has done, we can ally our members to be another "Army" of passionate, involved volunteers. These are indeed exciting times for the GC, the AHA and the hobby.
Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen
AHA Governing Committee (2004 - present, Past Chairman 2009-2012)
Brewers Association Board of Directors (2010 - present)
[9.6, 165] Apparent Rennerian

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2010, 09:43:44 AM »
As an incoming member of the board, I'm happy to see a dialogue occurring between members and the board.  This forum is a great tool for such discourse, and I'm happy that it is being utilized.

I've read everything posted here so far, and thought I'd just put my two-cents in.  With this being said, I would welcome requests and discussions on what members would like to see, and find out how my ideas intersect with my fellow AHA members.  The following is a short list of what I'd like to accomplish:

1. Make efforts to increase dialogue between the AHA and it's members (like this thread!)
2. Explore more grass roots efforts (like AHA wort rallies) in raising the awareness and engagement within the hobby of homebrewing.
3. Develop approaches though new media. (shameless plug, but it's applicable - www.brewingtv.com)
4. Work to get homebrewing into a main-stream discourse vs. niche hobby.  This is essentially the balance to point #2 in a coordinated effort to move homebrewing into main stream culture.
5. Develop stronger relationships with partners and entities in the homebrewing industry, as they have historically done some heavy lifting for homebrewing culture, and will be crucial in it's future.

These of course are bullet points.  And much like a typical politician they are easy come, easy go from the mouth.  I do have specific road-maps and plans on how to attain them though.  My goal is to lay these ideas out as I work with other board members and develop my role in assisting the AHA.

I think the AHA's future as an organization, and how it serves it's members, faces daunting demands but explosive potential.  I will go forward with this belief as long as I'm asked to serve.

cheers!

EXACTLY!!!!!!
The AHA is a member organization.  It is my estimation that in recent years the members of this hobby have grown up with the internet and there are a lot of "youngbloods" getting into homebrewing.  So, to me the governing committee should ensure the AHA is a resource for brewers in all "modern" mediums (i.e. youtube, this website and forum, facebook, etc.)

Additionally, there are old school ideas about what homebrew clubs are and are not in the AHA.  The internet has changed this.  More specifically, there are not geographical limitations to group membership and sharing information.  Internet homebrew clubs should be  addressed by the governing committee.  I think groups, like the brewingnetwork should be able to win homebrew club of the year.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »
Internet homebrew clubs should be  addressed by the governing committee.  I think groups, like the brewingnetwork should be able to win homebrew club of the year.

In what way do you think this is not being done?  Not hassling you, just curious...as far as I can tell, internet clubs are acknowledged already.  But I'll look into your comments to make sure reality reflects my perceptions.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
In what way do you think this is not being done?  Not hassling you, just curious...as far as I can tell, internet clubs are acknowledged already.  But I'll look into your comments to make sure reality reflects my perceptions.

And I'm not sure where they ended up, but the BN was actually in the lead going into Round 2. We did introduce a while back a rule that restricted geographically dispersed clubs from winning more points from a category than they could from a single region to balance things out a little
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »
Internet homebrew clubs should be  addressed by the governing committee.  I think groups, like the brewingnetwork should be able to win homebrew club of the year.

Denny, you are correct.  For some reason I had it in my mind that internet clubs were not recognized.  I was mistaken and I see that the brewing network is a recognized club.